Dynamic Soaring Day near Mere

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #6288 by
Hi Guys,

Some have shown an interest in some Dynamic Soaring. The nearest slope that Im aware of that is good for in and good for learning how to do it is Near Mere. It is part of Whitesheet Hill but outside of the NT area

you fly from here:

www.google.co.uk/maps/place/51%C2%B006'2...b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

It is best in a westerly but will take a bit of south. 15mph or more is ideal, over 30mph and it just gets turbulent.

You drive up from the red lion pub here:

www.google.co.uk/maps/place/51%C2%B006'5...b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

drive up the track to here:

www.google.co.uk/maps/place/51%C2%B006'4...b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

The track can be quite rough but any normal road car is fine, You can drive in from the other end of the track too that used to be very rough though, I dont know what the situation is now I have not been up there in a long time.

The Hill used to be part of the Whitesheet club. However they now say they only fly on the NT land. Technically the paragliders use the bowl to the east of where we fly but they do not use it in a westerly and nobody flies there by choice unless they are DSing as it's a bit of a walk compared to the westerly slopes on the main slopes.

In terms of models, if you have not done it before a combat wing is best. moulded stuff goes really well there too, plenty of space and theres a couple of choices for landings. big ones if you are willing to walk a little.

whos up for it? what weekend days are you available. I will probably need to car share with somebody as I don't currently have a works van due to being off after the operation and Clare will probably need the car. Im in Kinson.
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #6294 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Dynamic Soaring Day near Mere
I'd be up for trying it Ade always thought it looked fun. I'm away for the next couple of weekends though.

More
8 years 7 months ago #6295 by JRI
Replied by JRI on topic Dynamic Soaring Day near Mere
I'm in too - only got SAS wing in action at moment as covering has fallen off proper-job sloper!

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #6300 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Dynamic Soaring Day near Mere
I would be interested in a slope day out but don't know what gliders are suitable for this site. Just have Phase 6 fully sym and Middle phase semi sym.
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by kevinross.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago #6313 by
Replied by on topic Dynamic Soaring Day near Mere
they phase 6 and middle phase will slope just fine at this site, If you wish to give dynamic soaring a go you really need a combat wing or similar. lots of potential for ground encounters, its a very different skill.

More
8 years 7 months ago #6317 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Dynamic Soaring Day near Mere
I'm in too. Zagi Wing and some other thing I can't remember what it is called. ;) But not when it is Cashmoor flying weather :P

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.445 seconds