Onboard Ignition Switches

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #23482 by
Onboard Ignition Switches was created by
Today I learnt a valuable lesson. No drama thankfully but this particular flight could have ended in disaster when the ignition switch developed a fault.
Most of us with petrol engine models fit an on-board ignition switch that is operated from the transmitter.

The lesson I learnt is that there are versions of these ignition switches from as little as £8 and there are versions at the other end of the market circa £45. The old adage ‘you pays your money’ comes to mind.
Guess at which end of the market my replacement ignition switch will be coming from.

Simon O
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #23483 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Onboard Ignition Switches
Hi Simon

I think you've been a little unlucky, I've used a few RCexl switches and never had a failure, but if you want to go higher end, I would recommend the Powerbox Sparkswitch. Their products are very high quality, but you pay for it. I had one in my 104 Extra. Its a switch and regulator.

www.nexusmodels.co.uk/powerbox-spark-swi...ted-output-6610.html
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by JonTappin.

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #23485 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Onboard Ignition Switches
I have had no issues with RCexl either although I don't buy them from Ebay, only from model shops. Not that you would buy anything from Ebay Simon! :lol:
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Phil Ford.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
3 years 6 months ago #23486 by
Replied by on topic Onboard Ignition Switches
Yes, I’ve ordered a power box unit. Interestingly 2 other members at the field yesterday have had RCxcl units fail.

With the luck I’ve had model flying recently I’m not prepared to take the risk. I call it ‘Insurance’ tactics. Of course the Powerbox unit could fail. Laws of averages I guess.:silly: :silly: :silly:

More
3 years 6 months ago #23487 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Onboard Ignition Switches
The Excel opto switch in my Stearman the original fitted approx 8 yrs ago - sourced from H/king. Also used 2 more in other models. Couldn't use one on the Decathlon due various limitations so thats a mini servo operated microswitch - even better that onto isolation !

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.496 seconds