An alternate approach to managing Lion / Life 2S battery packs

• kevinross
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 years 2 months ago #25604 by kevinross
During the last year I have replaced all my Rx and Ignition NIMH batteries with lithium ion or Lipo4. The advantage of both compared with Lipo is they can be safely kept and charged in the model, but with limited access on my scale type models connecting both a power and balance socket for charging is awkward. I retained the existing and adequate JR connectors but they also require safety connector locks.

The first pic shows the old and new system.

My solution is to rewire all battery backs and related Rx & Ignition power plugs with these AMASS 3 way connectors for Pos, Neg and centre balance wire so that only single connector is required for charging or flight. I'll also make special charger adapter leads to connect the balance ports at the charger.

These connectors have 2 mm sprung pins rated at 15amps and have sufficient friction to negate the need for connector locks but have nice grab detents to allow separating.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil Ford, Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago #25606 by DaveBright
Like the AMASS 3 connectors also. Using them for tailplane and batteries in the Rebel.

More
2 years 1 month ago #25607 by Phil Ford
Thanks Kevin for your info on Ammas. Just what I was looking for. I have ordered some 3 pin XT30 and XT60s.

• kevinross
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 years 1 month ago #25610 by kevinross
The MR30 solder buckets Just accept 18awg cable - (my subsequent attempts did improve)

The final lead is this MR30 male pin to 3pin JST balance adapter to test the batteries before model assembly at the field.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

More
2 years 1 month ago #25612 by Brian
Took me a while to understand how the three wire connection worked, neat solution Kevin.

More
2 years 1 month ago #25613 by Phil Ford
Slightly off subject but I am looking at these housings so I can make more solid servo connections using my stock of mpx 6 pin plugs n sockets. Any good? I did look at 3D print stuff but just not the same as molded plastic.

4 Pieces of plastic fastening 6-pin MPX connector for easier wiring. Model shop Leeds £1.25
Attachments:

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.315 seconds