Extending battery leads

• DaveBright
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 10 months ago #5021 by DaveBright
Extending battery leads was created by DaveBright
I'm guessing the best method of extending 7.4v lipo battery leads is just to solder in an extension?

Just terrified of dry joints.... I suppose it ultimately comes down to quality of soldering, solder and flux?

I would twizzle and solder.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #5022 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Extending battery leads
Intertwining the end of the lead's wires would be ideal and then soak through with solder and shrink tube it over. But not an easy job so I stick with my own tried and tested method which also gives you the option to revert back at a later date. Twizzling is okay but a bit DIY. ;)

For LiPo extensions I use XT60 plug n sockets (gone off Deans mostly) . Equivalent to 4mm bullets but will not pull or fall apart easily and no chance of reverse connections. I am using this on high power stuff so your little 2cells should be fine. ;) Yes, I know it means some soldering to do but less chance of dry joint on a plug/socket.

DaveBright wrote: I suppose it ultimately comes down to quality of soldering, solder and flux? I would twizzle and solder.....

:whistle:
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Phil Ford.

More
8 years 10 months ago #5023 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Extending battery leads
Dave

sounds like you need (yet another) lesson, this time on soldering! :-)

It's really not that hard and you can tell by appearance if it is a dry joint or not. Happy to assist on my return if you like, or there are plenty of others who could show you how it's done.

It's a skill you really need to have.

More
8 years 10 months ago #5026 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Extending battery leads

PhilF51 wrote: Intertwining the end of the lead's wires would be ideal and then soak through with solder and shrink tube it over. But not an easy job...

I'd describe this as a very easy job, and certainly a lot easier to do compared to soldering connectors onto a wire

PhilF51 wrote: Yes, I know it means some soldering to do but less chance of dry joint on a plug/socket.

Not sure of the logic here. I have seen a lot of dry joints between wire and connectors and very few (if any) between wire and wire.

The main cause of a dry joint is using a soldering iron that is not powerful enough. You can (apparently) get away with a 40W iron if it has a large tip. My preferred iron is 75W and has a 10mm diameter tip. This will make good joints every time

• DaveBright
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 10 months ago #5029 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic Extending battery leads
My soldering technique isn't too bad and is quite well practiced over the years..... I think my issues could therefore be attributed to my sh**e soldering iron....easily solved! I did have two. Have lost one since moving out and think the one I have is only 25W!

As I said, should be easy fix!

Thanks all

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #5031 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Extending battery leads
Dave, a decent iron is a defo. I replaced my old one some time ago with a nice new 40w from Maplins complete with spare various sizes tips and accessories for little money and simplicity.

www.maplin.co.uk/p/40w-soldering-kit-n72hy

1 available in Christchurch and 17 in Bournemouth... :) £24.99
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Phil Ford.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.328 seconds