LiFe PO4 Packs

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #8821 by Phil Ford
LiFe PO4 Packs was created by Phil Ford
Have started using LiFe PO4 2 cell packs (6.6v) in my newer planes with HV servos rather then rely on BEC output, regulators or heavier Nimh packs. When fully charged they only show 85% charge at the end of the charging period. This is because LiFe and Life PO4 have different characteristics. Both my mulitchargers only suit LiPo, LiFe and LiLo but not PO4 chemistry.

I have been pondering this problem for hours and cannot seem to come up with a good answer even for myself. How can I be sure they are fully charged?
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Phil Ford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #8822 by
Replied by on topic LiFe PO4 Packs
Hi Phil,

What is showing you they are only 85% charged, your charger or a cell checker? If a cell checker is it set to the right chemistry?

As a side note, I like the way the NanoTech RX batteries say 'High Discharge Battery' in big friendly letters. You'd have to have some serious servos to need the 20C rating :unsure:
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by .

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #8823 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic LiFe PO4 Packs
Chris - These TX/Rx packs come with standard "servo" leads which saves a lot of socket changing. It's not so much the "high discharge" but the fact that you can charge them real quick if you forget to recharge or had a lot of flights. ;) The battery checker only covers Lipo, LiFe and Nicad, Nimh. Switch to Life and get 85% charge. Switch to Lipo and it says 2%! These new versions of LiFe aka PO4 chemistry are safer apparently being nearer NiMh in voltages and can be left in the plane whilst charging. A two cell = 6.6v nominal is relatively small and light weight.

I have a three cell LiFe in my TX too at present. Fully charged shows on the screen as 10.2 volts but settles down to in the range of 9.9 to 9.7 depending on use. Either I need to find a quick tester for these packs or a dedicated charger, the latter means more equipment and expense. :(

Footnote: This new chemistry is used in cars, buggies and power cycles

• Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 11 months ago #8824 by
Replied by on topic LiFe PO4 Packs
The commonly used checkers do not appear to give accurate results when on LiFe settings. I just charge using settings as per either of my chargers, as I use reasonable capacity packs I believe I have plenty of spare power.

Stuart

More
7 years 11 months ago #8825 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic LiFe PO4 Packs
Like Stuart says, you cannot use a voltage checker to tell you the remaining capacity of a LiFe battery. Those claiming that you can do not understand how to interpret a discharge curve!

LiFe and LiFePO4 are one and the same. There is no such thing as "new versions of LiFe aka PO4 chemistry"

You say that a good feature is that you can charge them real quick...A 20C LiPo can be charged at 2C and a 40C at 4C. I wouldn't do it every time, but no harm will come from the occasional fast top up.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #8826 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic LiFe PO4 Packs
Thanks Guys for your input. Have done some research and created an article in Reviews on these batteries for information to those interested. wimbornemac.org/articles/reviews/179-lifepo4-batteries

I agree Stuart with your idea and will set up on two of my user programmable chargers a user set-up for these packs. I will use the details from the linked article. After a set time of use will recharge to see mh being put back in which will hopefully give me a guide to number of flights/uses before recharge.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.682 seconds