Carbon Fibre Spinners

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #9015 by Phil Ford
Carbon Fibre Spinners was created by Phil Ford
HK have a nice selection of carbon spinners which are blank. I would like to use these for multi blade props. How easy or difficult is it to cut slots accurately? Would I have to buy several in case of cock-ups? :lol:
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Phil Ford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #9016 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Carbon Fibre Spinners
Carbon can be cut and sanded with dremel tools (cut-off discs and sanding drums). The cut outs will match perfectly if you have marked them perfectly in the first place! Make sure you do all your cutting with a mask on and use a vacuum to remove the dust.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil Ford

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 10 months ago #9017 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Carbon Fibre Spinners
Thanks Mike. Method would be to stick paper on to the spinner and draw the required slots and then cut?

The blank lightweight spinners are cheap but are well rated on HK. They don't get serious money until you start looking at 5 - 6 inchers and above with alloy backplates ;) But in my case around the 63mm mark not an issue.

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #9018 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Carbon Fibre Spinners
Hi Phil

Be cautious with the HK carbon spinners, Simon bought a 5” that shattered the alloy backplate after less than 10 flights, destroyed the prop and cowl, the smaller ones may be ok though.

To mark out, the card method works well, I have also used a different method recently using a length of binding wire as the photos attached, it worked very well. with the Krill spinner it is easy by using the screws that secure the spinner to locate the wire, but even with a central bolt it could be done using some sticky tape.

Just form the wire around the prop on the backplate, then remove the prop, add the cone and draw round the wire onto some masking tape.
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by JonTappin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil Ford

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #9021 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Carbon Fibre Spinners
Thanks for the images Jon. They expand better what you have described.

Here is an ally spinner I had already bought, the prop holes are pre-machined but you have to cut out the back edges. This is not a backplate. This sits on the prop hub and the conical spinner is bolted on to it which secures it. I have cut most of the metal out and now I need to file the slots straight. Photo 1 & 2

A carbon spinner would be ideal as it uses a standard backplate and once slotted sits directly on to the backplate. I hope you are following this! ;)

I would not have thought about carbon spinner until reading RC Groups about multi blade scale set ups. :(
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Phil Ford.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.254 seconds