DH Venom Spectacular

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 3 weeks ago #24384 by Phil Ford
DH Venom Spectacular was created by Phil Ford
Found this video on my video channel that did not appear on the website's Video gallery. I think it was, got to be Dave Bright's Venom. I don't know why he always chooses cold, breezy days for maidens. :unsure: Notice lack of other members at the field! They stayed home too ;) Anyway, there seems to be a lack of info (my fault) but other than it says 5th November I have no idea when I filmed this spectacle. I vaguely remembered that Big Dave wanted to puke into it. :lol: Help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #24392 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic DH Venom Spectacular
Hi Phil,
This was Oct 2016. Mick Reeves Venom with a PST 600R.
I acquired this built however it quickly became apparent it’s wings had been built with ‘wash in’ rather than wash out. You’ll see on both take offs the tendency to wallow about and both landings were a nightmare. The second flight even had a good stab of reflex aileron too but to no avail. The second landing was a complete wing drop. From this point the wings were re done to included wash in and a remaiden was done the following year.
The airframe was nice, but had a lot of lead in the nose.
I later changed the turbine and began work to mount it up under the cockpit along with a respray. Model was later sold.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil Ford

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #24394 by DaveBright
Thanks for popping the video up again Phil. It’s always good to have a dive in the archive of your YouTube channel!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil Ford

More
3 years 3 weeks ago - 3 years 3 weeks ago #24395 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic DH Venom Spectacular
I noticed in the video when it was stationary just before both takeoff runs, that you can see the tip tanks at completely different angles. As I recall the wash in was much more on one side than the other. Wing like a propellor!!
Last edit: 3 years 3 weeks ago by JonTappin.

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #24400 by DaveBright

Dave Bright wrote: Hi Phil,
This was Oct 2016. Mick Reeves Venom with a PST 600R.
I acquired this built however it quickly became apparent it’s wings had been built with ‘wash in’ rather than wash out. You’ll see on both take offs the tendency to wallow about and both landings were a nightmare. The second flight even had a good stab of reflex aileron too but to no avail. The second landing was a complete wing drop. From this point the wings were re done to included wash in and a remaiden was done the following year.
The airframe was nice, but had a lot of lead in the nose.
I later changed the turbine and began work to mount it up under the cockpit along with a respray. Model was later sold.

I employed a test pilot that day who I’d heard was reasonably experienced, he came recommended - turns out not so much - can’t believe everything you hear!

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #24401 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic DH Venom Spectacular
Whoever he was, at least he was brave enough to take on the task of flying that propeller wing, you clearly weren't ;)

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.290 seconds