Was A Stinger

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #24969 by Phil Ford
Was A Stinger was created by Phil Ford
With the Panther now awaiting a new fan from Motion RC I thought I would patch up the Stinger MK1 which is in a poor state and last legs. The nose is gradually falling to bits and looks to the right all the time. Buried deep in the roof I came across a used spare wing for a Stinger, Only Cromwell would remember when I acquired it because I can't. Anyway, I though it would be a good idea to use the Stinger for a test. Spraying Halfords car paint bubbles the paint and stickers on the Stinger. How can I seal it with something not reactionary. Aha! Rustins MDF Sealer. Seals mdf ready for any paint product. I found it does a good job of protecting my mdf plane stands from glow fuel to a good degree too.

Moving on, I brushed the Stinger fuselage first with the sealer. Then when dry a very light coat of Halfords primer grey. Not too bad, just a few blisters here n there. Another coat of primer to "hide" the colours and stickers underneath. Finally a nice coat of Wheel Silver. I then did the same to the spare wing which came out better than the fuselage. A silver jet of unknown origin appears.

In the photos you can see Stinger MKII. Not flown properly yet, on maiden it glided to the ground at launch and broke off the pointy bit in the long grass.
Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Phil Ford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago #24971 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Was A Stinger
Mrs Ford will be pleased it matches her patio table - or does the patio table now match the stinger after respray??
The following user(s) said Thank You: ruggerbloke

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #24976 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Was A Stinger

Kevin Ross wrote: Mrs Ford will be pleased it matches her patio table - or does the patio table now match the stinger after respray??

Pure coincidence Kevin. A short while ago she had me spray paint many of her plant pots with whatever spare Halfords cans I had that were no longer needed. Pots are now in Ford coral blue, Fiat reds, Rover green, Citroen, Peugeot, got a look in too. That cleared a lot of cans out of the cupboard. Then as usual I wanted to spray a cowl and spats and find I have to go to Halfords again and buy some more cans of the same colours I originally had. So much for a clearing out. :(
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Phil Ford.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 years 8 months ago #24980 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Was A Stinger
First flight and it flew quite well. Silver is not the best colour on a grey sky so there was some "where is it" moments. Later though a bumpy landing the rebuilt/reglued/patched with packing foam, front nose finally gave up. Time to retire it. Strip out hardware for spares.

Fortunately I also had with me Stinger MKII for a maiden and that went well after some trim tweaks. The MKII appears to be quicker than the MKI. :unsure: The MKI did have office film on it wings which may have created some drag.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.346 seconds