No Name Plane

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 9 months ago #20354 by Phil Ford
No Name Plane was created by Phil Ford
The Phoenix? Well a bit like the Flight of, by cobbling bits together and hope it flies. :lol: I have had a 5 foot EPP wing gathering dust and wondered what to do with it. i really wanted to make another 46 inch version like the SuperWing but no-one is making slope soarers anymore.:( So the 5 footer gets the treatment. Creating a fuselage, no plans, no anything, doodle some images and just envisage what I would like it to turn out like and getting cutting and sanding. So, far I have cut out the 4 main formers and two formers for the top hatch. Fuselage sides cut out and cooling intakes cut out. These will be covered in by jet like intakes to direct air over the ESC. F2, F3 and F4 (motor mount) now glued in. F4 has been set to 3 degrees of up thrust which worked well for the Superwing. Former 1 is under consideration as I have not decided yet whether to fit a camera or what type.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly, Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 8 months ago #20384 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic No Name Plane
Have made more progress over the past few days. Hatch form-work done, skinned it along with the rear of the fuselage. I found the hatch needed the balsa pre-shaping by wetting but another piece of sheet balsa went down nicely on the rear fuselage. The front of the fuselage is on hold as I am waiting on some bits of technology. :)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly, Brian

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 8 months ago #20428 by Phil Ford
Lots of fiddly bits done, so many too all done on the fly! Previously I had made up some wing securing fixings and glued them into the foam. The brackets are also glued to a wooden spar on the underside of the wing. The securing brackets were fitted with 4mm T-nuts and the rear fixing is done by 4mm nylon wing bolts through the rear wing and screw into a plate on the underside of the fuselage. Now that it is starting to resemble something I am hoping to start covering the fuselage in the next few days.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 8 months ago #20441 by Phil Ford
Finally got it covered!
Attachments:

More
4 years 8 months ago #20442 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic No Name Plane
Looking good Phil - I am surprised you've made the fuselage detachable but no doubt
that's part of a cunning plan.
At the moment I see no vertical fins, still to come ?
Look forward to seeing her fly.
Colin.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 8 months ago #20487 by Phil Ford

4Pedalsfly wrote: Looking good Phil - I am surprised you've made the fuselage detachable but no doubt
that's part of a cunning plan. At the moment I see no vertical fins, still to come

Cunning plan? Wing is EPP so bouncable (is that a real word?) but fuselage can be replaced/repaired. Fins? Not sure whether to go with the standard wing tips or fit them inboard a little. i am sure someone told me that the ideal position for fins for yaw stability is back as far as you can get them or it will "wiggle" ungainly.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.298 seconds