The Thing

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #20934 by Phil Ford
The Thing was created by Phil Ford
Made a start on version/clone of a Wildthing. My version is based on the 46 inch Wildthing but I am using a different wing profile and some other small changes . With some gracious help from John B, he cut out some wing cores using the profile I supplied which is MH60. I had started on the fuselage by cutting out the sides and then adding in the critical formers F1, F2 and F3 which replaced the setting out spacers in image 1.

Unlike the original Wildthing I will be using mini metal geared servos for elvons rather than standard ones. These will be mounted on a servo tray in the fuselage rather than embedded/glued into the wing.
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Phil Ford.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #21035 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic The Thing
Getting back to this project whilst waiting on bits for other stuff and glues to cure on other jobs. Wing is now glued together with a slight dihedral of 2 degs. Wing has been laminated except for the last few inches on each wing tip. (Deciding whether to keep the wing this length or cut it down to 46 inches :unsure: ) Fuselage has the servo tray and servos installed. The Ply fuselage has had a layer of sheeting balsa added. Fashioned a nose cone out of blue foam. Rear wing mounting has had 4mm Rivnuts installed and wing now fits. Top front of fuselage has had a thick piece of balsa added which will be sanded to a slight curve to follow the lines of the wing top where it meets the fuselage.

I have not worked with blue foam before. How do I really smooth it and seal it ready for painting?
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Phil Ford. Reason: bad grammar

More
4 years 5 months ago #21036 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic The Thing
Got any of my lump of blue foam left Phil? :-)

Sand it with really fine wet and dry then a light skim coat of epoxy, then sand again.
Others may know of a better way? I only used the foam to make a plug
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil Ford

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 5 months ago #21038 by Phil Ford

davidbright wrote: Got any of my lump of blue foam left Phil? :-)

Yes Dave. :lol: I will give it back to you sometime - hopefully...:whistle: :lol:

I could try finishing epoxy on it then wet n dry.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #21042 by Phil Ford
A dry day at last! Can get outside to work. Wing cut down to 46 inches, and fully laminated. Balsa wing tips to create next. Fin made from balsa, profiled and laminated too. The fins wil be located with a dowel and magnets so the fin can fall away in a less than reasonable landing. ;) Nose is coming on, I eventually coated it with aliphatic resin, rubbed it down and recoated it. Next job will be to wet n dry it ready for a paint job. It won't be perfect though!
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Phil Ford.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #21066 by Phil Ford
Nearly done. Project held up for a small switch of all things and a stencil/mask. Had to replace the two servos as they were damaged from a previous slope project. Two HS 82 MGs now. Making a stencil from paper card to create the black feather effects on the top side of the wing.
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Phil Ford.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.294 seconds