Lupo

More
3 years 11 months ago #22337 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Lupo
on 25th April Mike said "I was moving on to build an own-design glider next " then he made wait nearly 8days before the finished article

Pull your finger out next time mike !!!!! :sick:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #22344 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Lupo

MikeSeale wrote: I had intended to do another build log with this one, but the website failure last weekend meant I got ahead of myself and decided to leave things quiet until I'd made progress. I'll use the images I took along the way to write an article for one of Phil's newsletters (and also for the Wessex newsletter). In the meantime, if you have any questions please ask. Last images shows it next to the Phase 5 for comparison. They are about the same length and wingspan but the Lupo has a much skinnier fuselage and a higher aspect ratio wing.

All I can say is WOW! :blink: Do you need any more Balsa?

• MikeSeale
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 11 months ago #22580 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Lupo
It's gone very quiet here.

Lupo had it's maiden flight a while back but I've been busy and only just had time to edit the video

The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly, kevinross, Phil Ford, Brian

• MikeSeale
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 11 months ago #22581 by MikeSeale
...and shortly after Lupo came a sibling, Rolo. Very similar in that they both have the same wing and tail planform. But Rolo has a built up plug in wing whereas Lupo is a one piece foam wing. They have different wing sections, Lupo is symmetrical but Rolo has a little camber so should perform a little better in light winds. And Rolo has a slightly shorter fuselage. The reason for this is mainly to reduce the tail moment in order to reduce the amount of lead needed to balance it for the correct centre of gravity. But I also took the opportunity to make the fuselage sides from 36 inch sheets.

Both flew in the strong winds at White Sheet yesterday. They fly sufficiently different to have made it a worthwhile project. It's unclear which is my favourite.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly, Brian

More
3 years 11 months ago #22582 by AlanF
Replied by AlanF on topic Lupo
I may have this bass ackwards but, what I want is Rolo with a fully symmetrical, probably foam, wing - with the potential for power assist ( maybe plug in). What do you think Mike? By the way I'm impressed with your film cutting skills :)

• MikeSeale
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 11 months ago #22583 by MikeSeale
I need to tidy up the plans before publishing, but there is no reason why you couldn't swap wing construction method and aerofoil sections. Sticking a motor in the nose would be possible. But if you wanted to use a spinner it would require some modifications because the nose is a lot taller than it is wide in that area.

Regarding the film cutting...if you mean the graphics/lettering, I do cheat with a vinyl cutter. Liyu vinyl cutter

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.297 seconds