Mini KeilKraft "Comet"

• 4Pedalsfly
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 1 month ago #24218 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Mini KeilKraft "Comet"

Phillip Ford wrote: Doggers in St Georges Park? Ferndown Area is going down hill.

Phil - Dog Walkers , not Dogging,
that usually takes place ( so I'm
told ) in wooded areas like the
New Forest.
Dogs in Ferndown are very clever
putting their own waste in little
black bags and taking it home.

Colin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil Ford

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 4Pedalsfly
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #24242 by 4Pedalsfly
Sunday 21st Feb looked promising very light wind and no rain forecast so after lunch we went to Parley park for the maiden flight.A number of hand launches determined a tiny bit of extra lead was needed on the nose.Now for the catapult launch, climbed up well but did not transition at the top of the climb into level flight , great spot landing !Work now needed to sort out transition, trimming tabs to be added then model can be trimmed out.3 Pics attached - 4th pic on next entry.Colin.
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by 4Pedalsfly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil Ford, Brian

• 4Pedalsfly
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 1 month ago #24243 by 4Pedalsfly
Last pic - " Spot Landing "

Colin
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

More
3 years 1 month ago #24244 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Mini KeilKraft "Comet"
Finally your released from lockdown

More
3 years 1 month ago #24246 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Mini KeilKraft "Comet"
Chuck glider trim. You didn't say how far the Comet went Colin, hope you got lots of exercise. One trick I remember from long ago is to sand the fin/rudder to an airfoil section. This "lifts" the tail round without much drag. I saw from your photo of the launch that the model was held level. The trick is to trim the model to fly (for example) in left hand circles. With the fin sanded to an airfoil section to induce this, launch the glider with the wings vertical i.e tilt the model 90 degrees to the right, with the nose pointing upwards at about 45 degrees. The resulting launch should result in a rapid climb up and to the right, ending with levelling out and gently turning left. My very last chuck glider was called "Turbo Kid", a design by a member of the BMAS, Ted Horsley , it was trimmed as described. On a warm Sunday afternoon at Beaulieu, I hand launched it as hard as I could, cross wind so that the level out would be into wind, it picked up a thermal, stayed in sight for about ten minutes, and was never seen again. Perhaps trimming for performance isn't such a good idea after all.

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #24247 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Mini KeilKraft "Comet"
As it appears that we won't be up the field this month I better get on with some DIY just jobs. During spells of waiting for paint to dry I think I will design and cut out a chick glider too. I have a fair bit of balsa sheet laying around. Is there any need for some dihedral?
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Phil Ford.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.299 seconds