Great Planes Extra 300S

• AlanF
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #2543 by AlanF
Great Planes Extra 300S was created by AlanF
I've been building this kit for the last 6 months off and on and it's been a generally satisfying but occasionally frustrating experience.
Here is the state of play about 3 weeks ago.

This is the kit
Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by AlanF.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #2544 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Great Planes Extra 300S
Looks nice, but stop teasing us...what does it look like now?

Mike

• AlanF
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 9 months ago #2545 by AlanF
Replied by AlanF on topic Great Planes Extra 300S

MikeSeale wrote: Looks nice, but stop teasing us...what does it look like now?

Mike

Crikey Mike that was quick! I was going for a slow build up.

• AlanF
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #2546 by AlanF
Part of the reason for choosing this kit was that I wanted to try a petrol engine. Great Planes specify a 60 - 90 2 stroke or 90 -120 four stroke so it looked about right for a 20cc gasser, a dle 20 being a likely candidate, and there a number of threads on rcgroups etc where people have done exactly this. Any way long story short with the help of an enticing offer from Probuild ( including club discount ) I ended up with an OSGT22 for cheaper than a DLE 20 + an effective after market Pitts muffler.

Being absolutely new to petrol engines I decided to bench run the thing first - the prospect of dealing with an unknown engine swinging a 15 inch APC meat cleaver made me slightly nervous but in fact it was a fairly straightforward process. I needed to spin it with a starter to get it to prime first off as the carb was dry but thereafter I've started it , hot and cold by hand. The only snags so far is that the engine is inclined to run backwards, apparently this a problem with the OS GT 33 as well, but a couple of clicks extra on throttle seems to cure this and of course the silencer bolts unscrew themselves. I've since fitted nordloc washers and these have been completely effective so far. The other snag was, being a complete dunce, I mounted the engine in the stand upright which meant I couldn't get to the carb needles with the engine running. :(

I've since had a problem trying to tune the needles which turned out to be due to a flat ignition battery - ok at low rpm but dying with the extra load when throttling up. Certainly made for some head scratching moments at the time!
Attachments:

• AlanF
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #2547 by AlanF
Because of the extra weight of the engine I've had to mount the elevator servos at the rear of the fuselage which looks a bit untidy as there isn't much room, especially with standard servos and I thought I'd have a go with pull pull on rudder. I've used this effectively on gliders in the past so hopefully I've got it right this time. I ditched the CA hinges and fitted pinned hinges but apart some new metric hardware added to the original imperial fittings the kit is pretty much standard.

I've used Profilm for the covering and I employed some female help with the design of the graphics - I wanted a Union Jack version of the original Stars and Stripes scheme on the kit box art and she came up with some cracking designs which I didn't have the skill to implement. I ended up going with something fairly abstract.

So here's where I was about a week ago

Can you see a Union Jack in there?
Attachments:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 9 months ago #2549 by
Replied by on topic Great Planes Extra 300S
Yes, it's uncanny, careful nobody mistakes it for a flag and tries to lash it to a mast !!! :P

Only joking, she's looking really good, am interested to see how she flies as I have David Tappins Goldberg bipe hanging in the shed. I want to get a petrol for this but like yours, I know it will make it nose heavy. The pilot winks at me every time I walk in and I can just hear him say ' Oi when you going to get me refurbed you bugger' I don't blame him getting angry, he's been hanging there for almost a year now and must have a splitting headache with the number of cracks in his head !!! soon I keep telling him soon.

Must be ready for maiden flight then Alan ? looking forward to seeing her in the air, just wondering whether your sure she has enough power ?

Tom

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.929 seconds