AeroTow Lidl

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 month 2 weeks ago - 1 month 2 weeks ago #26858 by Phil Ford
AeroTow Lidl was created by Phil Ford
With maintenance on my Extra held up, in need of an extra deep socket for the prop hub retaining bolt I decided on making a "pigs ear" of a Lidl Glider conversion. The "plan" is to tow it with my petrol buggy for Fun Days and/or Aero-Tow it.

Installed a 3 mm carbon rod into the wing after the half-baked attempt at flattening out the wing.  The marker lines are where I will trim the trailing edge straight to fit full width ailerons.  The tail plane trailing edge has also been trimmed straight and will use some 3 mm balsa for elevator.

Useful comments welcomed....:-)
Attachments:
Last edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by Phil Ford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #26859 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic AeroTow Lidl
what depth of socket and what size - i have IMP & Metric 

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 month 2 weeks ago - 1 month 2 weeks ago #26860 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic AeroTow Lidl
I tried both 12mm and 13mm extra deep (120mm) 3/8 drive sockets. Crank/prop hub extension still stops it reaching the hex.  I think I twigged that you need a simple box socket. Going to pick some up from Screwfix.  More expense to just get the prop hub off and replace.:unsure:

Back to the Lidl.:)  I am also trying to make it sturdy for slope soaring too.

Ailerons are cut down aileron stock to match the average thickness of the wing (5mm) and now covered in film.  Carbon rod installed in tailplane.  Elevator too is now film covered.  Dug out hole in fuselage for 9g servo.

As a footnote: Each year these gliders come out they vary in wing, tailplane shape, colour. You can see that when look at other conversions over the years.
Attachments:

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 month 2 weeks ago - 1 month 2 weeks ago #26861 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic AeroTow Lidl
Gone as far I can until the lightweight 26 swg servo extensions arrive.  Elevator now set up.  Aileron servos have been dry fitted and the lead slots created.  I could finally set up one side of the wing but only one side as the wing has to pass through the fuselage first then refit the other aileron servo.  Aileron positions are for photographic purposes at this time.:)

Next little job is tidying up the gouged out cockpit area.
Attachments:

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.572 seconds