Painting Foam

• 4Pedalsfly
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 11 months ago #4484 by 4Pedalsfly
Painting Foam was created by 4Pedalsfly
The motor cowl on my H.K "Firenze" is plain white foam which would be more visible sprayed red.
Advise please on suitable paint & surface preparation.
Thanks
Colin.A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #4486 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Painting Foam
To tidy things up. I've put your comment here, Dave, and deleted the other thread.

Dave Rogers wrote: Having just sprayed my 90mm f86 sabre silver I can help you out here. I did a lot of testing before finally plucking up courage to spray the foam. Basically if you hold the spray can too close the foam will melt from the propellant in the spray can. However if you spray the foam outside In the open air at a reasonable distance the propellent is dispersed in the air and only the paint lands on the foam. Hey presto no foam melting.

Another helpful bit of advise to be very sure is to paint the surface of the foam with a layer of pva glue first, let it dry then spray away.

Colin...the reason Dave could not reply is because you had put the original message in - Main forum - support. I'm guessing that this category is for Phil Ford only, since we do not get the reply options. I've moved your message to a different category and it should work now.

Mike
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by MikeSeale.

• 4Pedalsfly
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 11 months ago #4487 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Painting Foam
Mike - Oops - misread the catorgary.

Dave - I'll give it a go, did you use a car aerosol spray can ?

Thanks
Colin

More
8 years 11 months ago #4488 by Dave Rogers
Replied by Dave Rogers on topic Painting Foam
Yes I used an aerosol can. Best to try it on a sample piece of foam first, however pva ing it first will work best. Just keep the can a good distance away. I used about hand to elbow distance away. The foam on my f86 is the worst kind of foam to melt but worked well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.411 seconds