Painting GRP

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 6 months ago #6532 by Phil Ford
Painting GRP was created by Phil Ford
Get fed up of glow fuel eating my enamel model paint off cowls, etc. Has anyone had success with using two pack fuel proofer on top of enamels? Enamels such as Spectre and RC Colours, the latter great because they match Oracover/Profilm colours.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #6571 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Painting GRP
No response! So, I'll try experimenting with an old item.

Using my old broken chipmunk Cowl made of GRP (not pre-coloured plastic) which was painted with RC Colours Red No23. In the image below you can just make out a glow fuel run by the bubbled paint. The top section of the cowl was coated with two pack glossy AeroKote, brushed on so not that good a job. Allowed 24 hours to dry. The cowl was then lightly trickled on with glow fuel (10% nitro). Will now check every 24 hours for any changes. At present the AeroKote has not reacted with the RC enamel. I know this is not laboratory method but it will give some results to work from.
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Phil Ford.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #6612 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Painting GRP
The results are looking positive. After 48 hrs of the cowl test area being damp with glow fuel and chemicals that have not evaporated away the glossy AeroKote has stayed intact with no visible signs of lifting or bubbling. Possibly a very slight change in the glossy surface but polished out okay.

The test used a grp cowl sprayed painted with RC Colours a few months ago. Glow fuel unwittingly left on the cowl softened the paint causing it to bubble up. An area of the cowl unaffected was lightly coated with two pack AeroKote fuel proofer. Left to dry/cure for 24 hours. Then glow fuel trickled on to the test area and left for 48 hours.

Although the test gives good results, long term fuel on the painted surface is not guaranteed, but at least a short period is viable. I had issues with fuel trickling out of the engine area, especially with four strokes, when the planes are in storage and hung up. Image added for a comparison
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Phil Ford.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds