Frsky - Taranis

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 5 months ago #679 by
Frsky - Taranis was created by
Hi all

I've been after a taranis for a few months and have checked a few sites regularly without any joy until now. As rare as rocking horse do do. Ginatcod had them and they sold out in 2 days.

Not sure if anyone else is after one but they are currently in stock from BRC Hobbies in the UK on the web. From experience, they won't be there for long.

By all accounts they seem to be a bit of a beast in terms of functionality and programming and to date, I can't find a negative report them, would be interested to know if anyone else has taken the plunge on one of these as would be good to talk to another owner ? Mine should be here by mid week.

Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #683 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Frsky - Taranis
Mike Blandford, a WMAC member of many years, wrote some of the open source code for the Teranis. He had one of the early pre-production models and also has one of the early production models. He is giving a talk about it at Holt Parish Hall on our January club night (10th January) I believe.

I have been using FrSky modules and receivers for a few years and would highly recommend them. If I was in the market for a new transmitter I would be very tempted by the Teranis, but being a 'tray' radio user would hope that FrSky have developed their 'European' radio by the time my p4000 dies.

BTW, to put things into context, the p4000 was way ahead of its time in terms of programming and it took Futaba over ten years to produce anything as versatile. And, in my biased opinion, JR and Spektrum still do not have a radio that matches the p4000 or the high-end Futabas. FrSky, on the other hand, have a transmitter that compares more than favourably for a fraction of the price.

Mike

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 5 months ago #688 by
Replied by on topic Frsky - Taranis
Hi Mike

Yes, I spoke to Mike Blandford about it a few months back on a few occassions. I spent ages deliberating over Aurora 9 or Taranis. Mike sealed it for me. It truly is remarkable what it can do. The speech synthesis with telemetary alone looks great. It was about time I upgraded from my trusty Optic 6. My son will be ready to take to the sticks soon and you can buddy the Optic up. You can even feed the channels in on buddy 1 by 1 so give him just elevator to begin with or whatever combo you want. It even tells you via speech when your about to go out of range !!! The list is endless, a truly top bit of kit.

It just needs a bit of programming to get it going and I quite enjoy all that stuff. Will certainly make sure I'm in town for that meeting on 10th. Let me know if you hear of anyone else picking one up.

Tom

More
10 years 5 months ago #710 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Frsky - Taranis
Tom - Looks like Christmas has arrived early.

Look forward to hearing how you get on with the programming.

I'm currently using a Futaba FF9 Super with a FrSky 2.4 module
and FrSky 8 channel receivers and after 18 months use the FrSky
bit has been faultless.

Worth asking Mike if the Teranis tx warns you when in "Range Check " mode.
This is a downside to the FrSky 2.4 tx module,a lesson I learned the hard way !!

Regards
Colin.A.

More
10 years 5 months ago #714 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Frsky - Taranis

4Pedalsfly wrote: Worth asking Mike if the Teranis tx warns you when in "Range Check " mode. This is a downside to the FrSky 2.4 tx module,a lesson I learned the hard way !!

Do you have the one-way module (non-telemetry)? I've got the FrSky 2-way module and it beeps constantly when in range-check mode. If Mike doesn't chip in here, I'm sure he can demonstrate that the Teranis makes a noise in range-check mode...it must do?

Mike

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 5 months ago #720 by
Replied by on topic Frsky - Taranis
Hi

It has a FrSky XJT 2.4Ghz module inside which is 2 way telemetry enabled.

Tom

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.335 seconds