Taranis with no RSSI

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 8 months ago #17457 by Brian
Taranis with no RSSI was created by Brian
Today I replaced the Taranis X8R receiver in my Venture 60. I had control loss problems last Tuesday, on checking the telemetry, the RSSI was marginal and was causing warnings. After binding the new X8R I now have zero RSSI. A preliminary range check showed everything working. I bound the receiver again with the transmitter about six feet away from the model. Once again, range check OK, but still no RSSI. I've tried to understand the forums and videos, but the whole thing might as well be in a foreign language. Is there a simple way of finding out where the RSSI has gone?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #17458 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Taranis with no RSSI
Okay you have swapped out the receiver and still the same. I don't know your TX, (X9E?) but I would suggest checking the initial radio set up menus. I would then re-flash the firmware in the TX as it appears to be giving a possible false reading. Back up the radio firmware first! But you would anyway, wouldn't you. Then also in Radio Settings make sure that the RSSI power off box is ticked.

After reading your post again and again. You are saying that the the range check will let you get around 90 feet away on low power? That's around 300 ft on normal mode.

Oh, and those encapsulated antennas. I used strips of Velcro to locate them 90 degrees to each other and as far apart as possible
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Phil Ford.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

More
5 years 8 months ago #17463 by John Bannister
Replied by John Bannister on topic Taranis with no RSSI
Brian when you did the bind you didn't use the " 1 - 8 channel no Telemetry" option did you as RSSI is a telemetry function

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 8 months ago #17464 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Taranis with no RSSI
I think the readout showed "D 16" John.

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 8 months ago #17465 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Taranis with no RSSI
The X8R receiver I used on Tuesday was giving low RSSI readings, when I took it out of the model, one of the plastic aerial covers had started to split along the joint.I prised the cover apart and found that the aerial wire had been re-soldered to the circuit board (I think its a circuit board, its thin and has a coating that covers any details) I'm not a radio expert, but I think that the soldered aerial is all wrong, there should be two small joints , one for the core and one for the exterior braid, this joint is one blob. I assume it doesn't work as it is shorted out.

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #17466 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Taranis with no RSSI
The antenna co-ax is extremely small and the amount of bare inner conductor is critical as it is either full wave or a percentage of the radio wave. You can replace the antennas with standard new ones from T9. If the aerial is the problem then yes, the telemetry would report low signal strength. A Friday night at 1759 job? ;)
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Phil Ford.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.372 seconds