Multi Protocol Transmitter

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 6 months ago #20941 by Phil Ford
Multi Protocol Transmitter was created by Phil Ford
FYI - A new contender for Frsky? A multi-protocol radio that can bind with Futaba, DSM, DSMX and many more. It is the Jumper T16 Pro. The Pro version comes now with hall effect gimbals as standard and the multi-protocol module installed. It runs on Open TX 2.2.2 and the firmware is virtually the same as the Frsky Horus 10. The latter has caused some furious debate on the forums though as to be expected. The Jumper has been priced just under the price of the Taranis X9D. :whistle: Taranis users can transfer all their models and settings to the Jumper using the Open TX Companion running on Windows 10.

The Jumper has the similar switch layout as per Taranis / JR transmitters. 4.3 inch colour screen and the JR roller menu selector wheel and three buttons on the left side. With the multi protocol you can use your models regardless of the radio protocol. Plus on the top face of the Jumper there are 6 programmable buttons to select your favourite modes or settings.

I am not saying run out and buy one but if you have got past the learning curve of Open TX you might want to have a radio that works with many receivers using different protocols. For me I have just upgraded my Taranis X9D with a more informative telemetry screen although not as colourful as the Jumpers but then you won't be watching the screen whilst flying although pre-flight and post flight data will be useful.

More info? Take a look at Joshua Bardwell's video and more of his reviews
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #20943 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Multi Protocol Transmitter
We have at least one member using the Jumper T16. His is the original version that uses a plug in module and does not have hall gimbals. It felt like a nice radio and the Pro version with an internal module and hall gimbals should be even nicer.
Correcting a couple of statements:
1. It ships with JumperTX not OpenTX. At the moment it is not supported by OpenTX and cannot (properly) use CompanionTX. Some have used companion with success whilst others have had hours of frustration with error messages and in unusable transmitter. But it will be supported by OpenTX once version [strike]2.3.1[/strike] 2.3.2 is released and this should be in the next couple of weeks.
2. It does not use the same firmware as the Horus x10s. The dispute is that the T16 used the same hardware as the Horus.

That said, it's a nice radio at a good price.
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by MikeSeale. Reason: 2.3.1 is already released and does not support T16

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 6 months ago #20945 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Multi Protocol Transmitter

MikeSeale wrote: It does not use the same firmware as the Horus x10s. The dispute is that the T16 used the same hardware as the Horus.

I stand corrected. Yes the same hardware.

There has been some bleating over Frsky emailing dealers and saying that if they stock Jumpers then they will withdraw sales of their products. That is not a good idea at all, but in fairness Frsky have been going some time now and a new kid on the block with more gizmos, undercutting the price by approx £10 and using the FREE for anyone to use Open TX coding is bound to upset someone.

Personally I am happy with my Taranis X9D, it feels right in my hands just like my JR radios. I would accept a Jumper for evaluation though.;)

Below my upgraded TX with Flight Controller Telemetry screens. 2 of a possible three. No colours as such but functional.
Attachments:

More
4 years 6 months ago #20947 by MikeSeale
The issue that FrSky had/has with Jumper is that they copied the x10s circuit boards even down to including components that are only used by the x10s running FrOS. They also 'forked' a version of Open TX and called it Jumper TX. And they used a multi-protocol module that was developed by yet another group. So they have invested virtually nothing in their own research and development and this is how they are able to bring to market a product that is so good for virtually peanuts.
And you say that it is £10 cheaper than the FrSky product? No. It is more like £250 cheaper than the FrSky product. The Jumper T16 is equivalent to the FrSky Horus x10s, not the Taranis. t9hobbysport are currently selling the x10s for £411.

More
4 years 6 months ago #20948 by MikeSeale
BTW, if anyone is considering buying this radio (and why not) please be aware that OpenTX is not for everyone. OpenTX is an open source operating system that is continually being updated. As such, you will not get a handbook explaining how to do mixes, dual rates, flaps, trainer functions and so on. Instead you would need to look online at resources like opentx university, rcgroups and you tube. And then you can never be sure if the advice you're reading applies to your version of openTX or an older one. The learning curve is steep. I'm not trying to put people off...once mastered the system is intuitive and very powerful. But don't expect to buy one and transfer all your models over in one afternoon.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #20949 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Multi Protocol Transmitter
Without pressing this subject further or digressing, the following video may be informative. Although here around mid year the TX compared is the T12 And our old friend Mike Blandford gets some coverage.
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Phil Ford.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.262 seconds