Horus X10 Express - New Toy!

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #21011 by Phil Ford
Horus X10 Express - New Toy! was created by Phil Ford
Been hovering over this for sometime. Did a lot of research and after deliberating for days clicked Pay Now! Fortunately DPD turned up while the Boss was out.:whistle:
Did not want the carbon version, too common ;) silver is always out of stock and glad I picked the Amber version. Took a while looking at the Frsky operating system, quite nice and well laid out but not flexible enough for me coming from Taranis X9D+ ;)

So, on to the PC and backed up the FrSky OS then flashed latest version of Open TX on to it. Slow to boot up but works. Moved the SD card files over to a high speed micro card and that solved the boot up issue. I can navigate through the Taranis easily but the new buttons on the Horus and the way they work got me struggling. FrSkty QX users may find it easier.

Transferring models over is fairly easy, i won't go into the procedure here in case it is boring but they transfer over easily enough BUT some configs don't. I found that some servo directions get reversed when I tested it on some simple models. The new Frsky systems are using a new radio transmission protocol called ACCESS (Advanced Communication Control Elevated Spread Spectrum). a change form the usual ACCST. AFAIK, ACCESS seems to be a way of stopping other manufacturers/cloners from making equipment that is compatible or that is the suggestion on many other forums. I thought - oh no do I have to reflash every receiver i want to use. Not yet, fortunately the new radios can also still use D16 XJT system by selecting the protocol you want to use for each model. However, the new receivers from Frsky will for ACCESS only. They are already available on T9Hobbysport.

Meanwhile i have returned the Horus to Frsky OS and back again to OpenTX just to check. If there is an update to the RF module then the Frsky OS has to be flashed back in to update.

At present I am still in the learning curve of this new TX and how it's buttons work but getting there. Got two gliders on it so far. The Taranis X9D+ will become a back up radio.
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Phil Ford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #21012 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Horus X10 Express - New Toy!
I'm surprised you didn't get the Jumper T16, Phil. A lot cheaper and much better suited to someone who hand-holds their transmitter. I know that ACCESS might have some advantages but I'm not sure that your average Joe needs it. I certainly won't upgrade mine to ACCESS and if the time arrives when I cannot but D16 receivers I'll consider buying a new transmitter then.
BTW, I think I read somewhere that the newest version of OTX can update the firmware...so there might not be a need to go back to FrOS to upgrade. Mike Blandford might be able to confirm this at the next club night.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #21016 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Horus X10 Express - New Toy!
Yes Mike looked at a Jumper and that is about it. Just too cheap, I could not buy the LCD screen and driver for the price the TX goes for. Plus already they are selling on BMFA classifeds for £50.00 I was nearly swayed to the latest Taranis X9D - 2019 (why coloured marine blue?) but could not see any significant gain except the new ACCESS protocol. I have handled the QX7 that another member has and although it feels different in the hands it did not uncomfortable for me. Hence the Horus although it is a bit heavier.

Although the Jumper does offer a good jump into Open TX for newcomers and at a small price so it does have some benefits.

Pics show the Phoenix slope soarer main page and the other is the telemetry screen for the Wing with INAV flight controller.

Strange why first image is upside down
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Phil Ford. Reason: Image upside down

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds