Unknown Loss of Control

• joneb
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #23460 by joneb
Unknown Loss of Control was created by joneb
Over the past week I have been at the field where 3 aircraft have had loss of control, The interesting point is that they all came down at aproximately the same point aprox 100mts south of the trench and 50 mts east of the hedge at the end of the runway. The pilots of the first two thought the incidents were due to pilot error but happened with in 30 minutes of each other. In two cases the aircraft seemed to be flying normally and suddenly went into spins. The incident this morning was with a factory fitted stabalized small model and went into a spin. There have been several cases of loss of control of models recently includeing Colin Arnolds
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by joneb.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
3 years 5 months ago #23461 by
Replied by on topic Unknown Loss of Control
Last week a small edf model that I was flying became almost uncontrollable whilst flying over the south field. Somehow I managed to turn it back towards the runway and drop it down just off the runway without incurring much damage. This week I flew the same model again without making any changes to the model and it behaved as it should. It's a mystery.

More
3 years 5 months ago #23462 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Unknown Loss of Control
Thanks for sharing this information. Hopefully we can identify if there is a common cause of these crashes but we can only do it if we collect real time data to back up anecdotal evidence. It would be very useful if all those capable of datalogging setup their radios to record every flight and analyse any suspect incidents

More
3 years 5 months ago #23463 by JRI
Replied by JRI on topic Unknown Loss of Control
The common feature could be that the models are almost directly opposite the pilot at the point of loss of control. If the Tx is directly facing the model and the antenna is pointing towards the model this could coincide with the hole in the RF doughnut (see attached picture). Also have you tested what happens to the control surface when a 'failsafe' situation occurrs on your models - this typically should be set to 'hold' for all controls except the throttle (which should go to idle).
Also consider the recent weather conditions, there has been a common theme of North and Westerlies which bring turbulance from the hedge and the big tree at the hut end - this could affect foamies quite dramatically.
Attachments:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #23464 by
Replied by on topic Unknown Loss of Control
The models that I have had affected by this issue are all electric so controls were set to neutral and motor shut down in failsafe mode. The Pulse 60 crash was directly opposite the Pilot box ( in the 4 years I have been flying it I never had an issue with control loss that couldn't be explained). The Wot 4 crashed out of bounds near the jet area having come across from the south side of the runway. I had absolutely no control and I could hear that the motor was under power when it hit which resulted in almost nothing being salvageable. The edf flight I previously mentioned seemed to very intermittently take control away from me.
All 3 incidents commenced opposite the pilot boxes. Unfortunately my tx doesn't have a facility to record flights so can't offer any more information.
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by .

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #23465 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Unknown Loss of Control
My two pennies worth. As John has said earlier that it may the possibility of the antenna pointing directly at the model where there is minimal radiation as the model passes by in front of the pilots. Spektrum have gone for the built in aerial in their TXs and as most pilots generally hold the TX at a 45 deg angle the inbuilt antenna is again pointing directly at the model. So have other makers of TXs. :huh: After seeing this post and some concerns, I have had a look through my log files on various recent dates for a a number of models and followed the RSSI levels and there were never any signs of a drop out. We have had phases of these type of issues over the years but nothing was ever found.

Excluding Simon who is on Futaba were all the others all on Spektrum?

Or is it down to turbulence?
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Phil Ford.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.282 seconds