AS3X Stabilisation

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
3 years 1 month ago #24295 by
AS3X Stabilisation was created by
At long last, a build of my Flair SE5a is getting within shouting distance of completion! Now some of you will know that my piloting skills are okay but certainly not good yet. Current models (Flair Cub, Super 60, and Arising Star trainer) are not too challenging to fly.

My impression is that first world war biplanes are a bit twitchy to fly, and a bugger to land, especially with a stiff (no suspension) undercarriage. I can get my Spektrum receiver with built in AS3X stabilisation and wonder if that would be a good idea? I have no experience yet of these clever electronic features, so any comments or advice would be welcome.
Thank you all.
Phil.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• throttletothewall
More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #24298 by throttletothewall
Replied by throttletothewall on topic AS3X Stabilisation
Phil,

Don't worry too much the Flair SE5a is a great flying model and not that different from a trainer, just get someone to test fly it for you and trim it. The AS3x Rxs are fine but take a bit of head scratching to set up properly and if a mistake is made with the output direction when setting up can make a model almost unflyable. It is also important to test fly and set the model up with the stabilisation switched off. The main reason I have used the AS3x stabilisation in the past is to allow flying in a stronger wind or more turbulent conditions than I might otherwise fly a particular type of model in.
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by throttletothewall.

More
3 years 1 month ago #24307 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic AS3X Stabilisation
You can add rubber bungee suspension to your SE5-A Phil. A few years ago I put my Flair Hannibal build on the club forum. If you look back at the articles, you'll see how to make a sprung axle. Doesn't take too long to modify and gives much nicer landings. WW1 biplanes tend to be a bit top heavy on the ground, and the relatively narrow undercart doesn't help. especially when you have to taxy across wind. Once the model is trimmed and the AS3X set up, your landings will be the envy of all. Now get some wire, tube and solder out, and modify that axle.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
3 years 1 month ago #24329 by
Replied by on topic AS3X Stabilisation
Two really useful replies ... thanks guys.

Phil.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds