POOOOF!!

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
2 years 10 months ago #24756 by
POOOOF!! was created by
Spectrum DX8- 1st gen.

I had a VERY rare and interesting experience this morning resulting from my intention to 'break the air' for the first time this year, on an ideal day! Thought I'd top up the TX battery which wasn't bad at 7.6v (alarm sounds at 4.4v apparently). Plugged the charger into a wall socket which was followed by an immediate and loud-ish Pop!! accompanied by smoke. The MCB tripped but reset OK. There were black marks in 3 places on the socket faceplate. Checked out socket using another item and it's fine.

Like me, the TX is getting on a bit (circa 10yrs) but I don't believe that in a lifetime of fiddling, I've had a PSU fail like that. I don't know much about PSU circuits but I'd guess there was a short or it was, more likely, age related (BTW it wasn't plugged into the TX when I plugged it into the socket.)

I thought I'd mention the experience just in case it's a well known weakness amongst Spektrum users.... like the Focus/C-Max instrument cluster where I've resoldered the 32 pin PCB connector on 2 examples now!!

For interest, a replacement Spektrum PSU is a ridiculous £25, would you believe!!!; about half the price of one of these new cheapo, but very competent, TXs!!
I might look through my stock of wall-warts, to find one of similar output, and change the lead to the Spektrum one.... what a tight fist!! :)

Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds