JR DSX 11 End of Life?

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #25100 by Phil Ford
JR DSX 11 End of Life? was created by Phil Ford
Had to take the DSX11 to Mike at Model Radio Workshop as the right hand stick had failed on Saturday. Before opening the case Mike knew exactly what the problem was. Gimbal case cracked and let a pin drop out. Gimbal repaired. Mike always tests radio gear before giving it back and says the RF output power is down to 60% so to me that is about 60mw. (Europe 100mw Max) Range can also be affected by damp atmosphere too for 2.4ghz. Also he is unable to increase to power.

Last year he repaired my DSX9 roller and it had no issues with RF. I am thinking it may be time to consider leaving DSM2 and moving more stuff over to Open TX especially if the DSX9 gives up
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Phil Ford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kevinross
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 years 6 months ago #25110 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic JR DSX 11 End of Life?

Phillip Ford wrote: Had to take the DSX11 to Mike at Model Radio Workshop
Mike always tests radio gear before giving it back and says the RF output power is down to 60% so to me that is about 60mw. (Europe 100mw Max) Range can also be affected by damp atmosphere too for 2.4ghz. Also he is unable to increase to power.

Really good point Phil makes you wonder how many other older transmitters out there have low power output and we only know when taking them for repair

I'm surprised the BMFA tech committee havn't identified this potential safety issue
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #25122 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic JR DSX 11 End of Life?
End of Life? Not quite yet! I picked up the DSX11 on Thursday. Mike had fitted a new gimbal casing plus RF check. Cost £31.00. He tells all clients and hands out data sheets on likely issues with RF. 2.4 ghx is very busy nowadays. He has said that it is paramount as TXs get older to complete a range check and ensure antennas are positioned correctly. And not shielded by servo cables, etc. Agreed in practice it is not always that easy on small planes - hence range check even more paramount.

Although with the DSX 11 down to 60 mw. theoretically assuming conditions are good you would still have control when it is just a small speck in the sky.;)

Footnote: Mike said that in the USA on DSM2 some were being upgraded (illegally?) to 1 Watt. 10 times more power than needed and useless at model airshows. That would washout nearby DSM2 which has to look for two empty channels. Hence the move for most radio gear to go constantly skipping. You want range? 900mhz the answer.
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Phil Ford.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly, Brian

More
2 years 6 months ago #25124 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic JR DSX 11 End of Life?
Mike used to do a useful power output checker, if there weren't enough LEDs lit up, then you knew right away that the transmitter power was down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.266 seconds