RemoteID may render all our Radio equipment redundant

• ElectRick
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 8 months ago #26094 by ElectRick
If I've understood it correctly in the USA the FAA have brought in measures that require all flying models to broadcast their ID. It is a possibility that this will spread to Europe and thence to the UK. In the YouTube link below they talk about Broadcast Modules being manufactured in Europe which are both USA and Europe compliant and note that as the FAA have not yet released details of the requirements that it is not possible for these units to be compliant! However that implies that there is discussion in the EU about these regulations already.
There are 3 categories in the USA which in simplistic terms are:
1) Sites where flying takes place but these are tightly regulated and are limited to educational establishments or "community based organisations"
2) Standard RemoteID for free fliers where the ID has to be in-built into the Tx and the aircraft has to be manufactured under strict conditions (basically drones from DJI etc )
3) the Broadcast Model which will cost flyers a great deal of money to fit additional radio gear into their home built models which will broadcast its GPS position on particular frequencies.
Here is the YouTube link:

Happy watching (just when I am contemplating buying a new radio!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kevinross
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
1 year 8 months ago #26095 by kevinross
Hi Rick

If you haven't already seen this - suggest you look thru Pete Willis post on 8th Aug re ADS B trial - this would be a possible alternative to the FAA -Recognised Identification Area
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

• throttletothewall
More
1 year 8 months ago #26097 by throttletothewall
Replied by throttletothewall on topic RemoteID may render all our Radio equipment redundant
Rick,

As Kevin has said take a look at my post re the ADS-B trial. The phrase 'Community Based Organisations' in the USA is (as I understand it) supposed to cover model flying clubs but prevent an individual from registering a mates field down the road as a designated site.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.459 seconds