Spektrum Conundrum?

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
10 months 2 weeks ago #26525 by Brian
Spektrum Conundrum? was created by Brian
I have a model recently flown successfully with a standard setup using two aileron servos connected via a "Y" lead. The test was in light wind conditions and the landing speed was rather high. Today I thought it would be a good idea to convert the standard ailerons into flaperons, to lower the landing speed. I followed the instructions in the Spektrum manual. Unfortunately, even though I have gone through the routine carefully and checked every stage, the flap and aileron controls are now transposed, i.e the flap switch gives three positions with one aileron up and one down, the normal aileron control gives both ailerons going up and down together. Is it me? Is it the receiver? Or is it the transmitter? I tried inhibiting the flap switch, all that does is leave the ailerons operating as flaps.
Any suggestions? (Please don't suggest I go to Futaba!) I did consider changing from Spektrum to Taranis, but looking at my notes on Taranis setup from two years ago, It might well have been written in a foreign language for all the sense I made of it.
Is there a simple solution to the problem or do I have to return to the original two servo setup?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
10 months 2 weeks ago #26527 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Spektrum Conundrum?
When in doubt its a good idea to read the manual....properly from Page 1. I've never set up a model with flaps and I rarely use a "Y" lead with two servos. That was the heart of the problem. I read the manual and found that although the aileron servos were working in the correct manner, the connections according to Spektrum were reversed. As soon as I switched the left aileron to the AUX 1 port and the right aileron to the AIL port, I found that the left aileron had to be reversed. When that was done and tested, I reinstated the Flap switch. To my surprise it worked, but the values had to be reversed to give two stages of down flap. Now I have ailerons with switchable rates and flaps with two "down" positions. How exciting is that?

More
10 months 2 weeks ago - 10 months 2 weeks ago #26528 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Spektrum Conundrum?
Yep, forget Futaba.  even JRI (Futaba fan) sometimes cannot fathom their programming.
Its the mixing and configuration in the TX and maybe a bit of you.  Can you put the ailerons on independent channels?

Meanwhile I will look through some settings for a similar set up in OpenTX.  JR made it simple too.

Basically you are looking at a glider type configuration I believe.  Flaps down and ailerons moving up but with roll control.
Last edit: 10 months 2 weeks ago by Phil Ford. Reason: Afterthought

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
10 months 2 weeks ago #26529 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Spektrum Conundrum?
Hi Phil, the problem was caused by me. I was using the wrong channels, after I switched to the Spektrum recommended channels everything worked after a bit of servo reversing.

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #26533 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Spektrum Conundrum?
Glad you solved it.  It was not conundrum after all.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.378 seconds