FailSafe

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 11 months ago #8902 by
FailSafe was created by
When setting up your RX Failsafe do you like it to retain the last control surface command before the link was lost, or return to neutral, or do you set it up with some predetermined default.

So far, I've set mine up to kill the throttle and return the control surfaces to neutral, but the Spektrum default is to retain the last command, and so I'm wondering if that is actually better?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #8903 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic FailSafe
If those are your only options, then definitely throttle to idle and controls to neutral.

But if you can do it, I go for throttle to idle, ailerons to neutral and elevator and rudder to hold last command. Then if you are inverted or knife edge when it holds you will have the inputs to keep the nose up. Having said that this might give you a chance but there is still a lot of luck required!

More
7 years 11 months ago #8904 by DavidTappin
Replied by DavidTappin on topic FailSafe
For power models I agree with Jon. For gliders I go to full up and full rudder deflection (it doesn't matter which way) forcing the model into a flat spin and, with a bit of luck, it will alight undamaged. This is also a useful escape should you lose sight of the model at altitude (don't ask me how I know). On a sunny day you may even be able to make your own luck, if you spot your model as it glints away while descending, and regain control before it meets with terra firma.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 11 months ago #8907 by
Replied by on topic FailSafe
Thank you David and Jon,

Having spent 20mins binding my RX in various ways, I had to admit defeat and look in the manual, it turns out the RX I'm using only has the Spektrum default failsafe, throttle to 0 and hold last command. It was the other two receivers I have that have the more advanced options.

I'm planing on migrating away from my current radio system, so it is useful to know what to look for in any new system's failsafe options.

More
7 years 11 months ago #8925 by Dante
Replied by Dante on topic FailSafe
Thanks Jon, goes to show one's never too old to learn. I always set my failsafes to the old standby engine to idle and all others to neutral, will change from now on. Of course there is always the chance that your in a nice bunt and all goes west. Happened to me in the early 70's flying on 27 MHz and a light aircraft began transmitting at 25 watts going into Denham airdrome 6 miles away. Good bye Chevron 2, full bore HP61 engine was 4" deep in terra........ Ah the good ole days?????

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #8935 by flyingpete
Replied by flyingpete on topic FailSafe
Dante, can you remember that the good old 10/ 4 rubber duck CB radio was on the same frequency
as us in the mid to late 70s before 35mhz fm came into use!
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by flyingpete.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.296 seconds