• 4Pedalsfly
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 1 week ago #12615 by 4Pedalsfly
Repairing G.R.P Cowl was created by 4Pedalsfly
I'm looking for advice on how I can repair the damage done
to the Gel Coat on my "Diamante" cowl - see Pic.
I have resin, catalyst & matting so can repair the inside of the cowl.
Thanks
Colin.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 week ago #12619 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Repairing G.R.P Cowl
Hi Colin, fortunately the cowl won't need much cleaning before you start, but give it a wipe over with meths or thinners to remove any dirt. I'd glue a liteply nose ring into the front of the cowl, and make up a dummy bulkhead from cardboard edged with masking tape. That is just in case the cowl is distorted in some way. Tape strips of polythene sheet over the damaged areas of the gel coat. Apply the glass mat/tape and resin in the usual way, make sure that the resin is runny and completely wets out the glass. If needed, push the cardboard former into place. When cured, remove the tape and polythene, stand back and admire. Then make good any remaining damage to the gel coat with polyester fiiller. Rub down with wet and dry paper no coarser than 320 grit. Then you can choose whether to repaint or cover with matching film (challenging but can be done). Hope it goes well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly

More
7 years 1 week ago #12621 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Repairing G.R.P Cowl
I would start your repair on the nside. Roughen the inner surface then lay on suitable pieces of lightweight glass cloth. Using a vinyl glove, rub drops of med cyano through the cloth and shape it to the inner contours. IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.384 seconds