Pepsi Wing Checks

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 1 day ago - 7 years 1 day ago #12708 by Phil Ford
Pepsi Wing Checks was created by Phil Ford
Dug out the Pepsi wing to check out alignments, etc. Placing the centre line of the wing on to my CG balancer, the port wing drops own. I then put a weight of 33gms (brass tap handle -all I had to hand) on the starboard wing tip and the wing levelled up. So that needs sorting out by sticking a wheel weight discretely underneath?
Wing incidence next. I don't have an incidence meter (borrow one or could probably make one though) but I do have a pitch-n-yaw app on my phone. With the wing confirmed level by my brickies level I placed my phone on the wing tips in exactly the same positions. Port wing shows +2 deg and starboard -1 deg. :(

I know this not exactly true aeronautics but trying to discover why the ailerons need so much trim. Albiet the plane flies great anyway.

Comments? Suggestions?
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 1 day ago by Phil Ford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 day ago #12709 by Chris73
Replied by Chris73 on topic Pepsi Wing Checks

PhilF51 wrote:
Albiet the plane flies great anyway.

Comments? Suggestions?

If it flies great, leave it alone

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 1 day ago - 7 years 1 day ago #12710 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Pepsi Wing Checks
Ah yes Chris, ;) but if one can reduce the amount of trim required that can be all but a good thing.

On another note I have replaced the 18x10 on the Pepsi with an 18x8 (as per Pennzoil) and hoping this will reduce the initial roll out speed and make landing a bit more controllable.
Last edit: 7 years 1 day ago by Phil Ford.

More
7 years 1 day ago #12711 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Pepsi Wing Checks
Phil - Normal practice is to check the lateral balance with the wings attached to the fuselage, you are then
checking out the whole model.
Remove the prop , balance the motor shaft on a straight edge, hold your finger under the tail post, you can the compare
the result of your previous test.
Two people are needed to carry out this test.
Also are there any slight warps in the ailrons which may contribute.
Regards
Colin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil Ford

More
7 years 1 day ago #12718 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Pepsi Wing Checks
It's not that easy to set lateral balance on the workbench as ensuring you are dead on the centre line has a margin of error. The best way is in flight.

Fly upright and trim the ailerons to level, then fly inverted and see if a wing drops, whichever wing does drop is the heavy one. When upright, if say the right hand wing is heavy, left trim will be required to stop it dropping. When inverted the heavy wing and the left trim will work together to create a left roll.

Add weight to the left wing and keep adjusting until the trim is the same both ways up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil Ford

More
7 years 14 hours ago #12739 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic Pepsi Wing Checks
Phil, have a look at the amount of lead that is attached to one of the wings on that little propjet Hawk :-)

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.505 seconds