Phoenix Glider Wing Fix

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 4 months ago #15244 by Phil Ford
Phoenix Glider Wing Fix was created by Phil Ford
The original idea was to use the fuselage, removing the stabiliser but keeping the fin and fit it under a flying wing....;) I had seen something similar on an Aussie website.

Anyways, recovering the broken wings (due to impact with hillside) from the back of the hangar and studying them I thought there may be chance of some more airtime. My plan was to cut the wings down and reassemble. Making the Phoenix a 73 inch wingspan instead of 78 inch. Worth a go at least. Images below show progress. Next job is glue up the flap area near the wing join to make the centre of wing more solid. I was thinking if gluing in some modified balsa tristock (circled in Red on image) along the flap hinge line and then sealing the balsa with some wood seal. Other suggestions here welcomed.:)

Also I have make up a small balsa block for the forward wing securing plastic thingy to emulate the original foam wing profile.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #15260 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Phoenix Glider Wing Fix
All done. Trailing edge at location point now reinforced with carbon rod. Wing still fits....;) Do I still call it a "clipped wing" ?

If it is not a hurricane on Friday 5th will take it with me to the slope
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Phil Ford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.581 seconds