Phoenix 1600 Wing Modification

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #18117 by Phil Ford
Phoenix 1600 Wing Modification was created by Phil Ford
After the total loss of power to the Phoenix on Saturday I have repaired the fuselage. motor and replaced the ESC. The wing suffered a little damage but I have got it back straight again. Today I glassed the wing joint as a first step toward glassing the wing all over. I have cut through the foamy "hinge line" of the ailerons and flaps and detached them. I will hinge these again conventionally.

My question is: Flaps as Flaps or have them come up to act as air brakes? Slopes don't have much space to land on so slowing it quickly helps. ;)
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Phil Ford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #18119 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Phoenix 1600 Wing Modification
Flaps down and ailerons up
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil Ford

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #18122 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Phoenix 1600 Wing Modification
Phil - I am unsure what radio you are using but you need to set up "Crow" or " Butterfly" braking.
On Futaba radio it's called "Butterfly" - & from 1 switch it sends flaps down, ailerons up & elevator to
compensate for the effect of the flaps.
Just completed transfering my models onto a Futaba 10C transmitter and reset my 2 flap, 2 aileron gliders
onto " Butterfy " braking.
Also now looking at " Camber" adjustment.
I'm just a novice at this, for expert guidance Mike is your man

Regards
Colin.
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by 4Pedalsfly.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 6 months ago #18124 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Phoenix 1600 Wing Modification
Hi Colin, Using Open TX so will have program some mixes to achieve Crow. A little way off with this "indoor project" as there are other tasks also running parallel, Phase 6, recover combat wings, and God knows what else. Multi-tasking!.;)

There are of course flying day opportunities which come high up the priority list.

More
5 years 6 months ago #18125 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Phoenix 1600 Wing Modification
Take a look at Mike Shellim's 'E-Soar Plus' template for your Phoenix. I've been using an edited version of this template on my gliders for a while and it is very powerful in what it can do yet simple to operate. The programming is complex and I'm only slowly getting my head around it. But if you just use it as a plug-n-play program it's straight forward.

The calibration mode is extremely useful. I had to swap a servo the other week after a stripped gear and after just a couple of minutes setting up in calibration mode it was done. The model flew exactly as before without any need for trimming in flight.

rc-soar.com/opentx/
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly, Phil Ford, John Bannister

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.252 seconds