Ultra Flash Fibreglass repair

More
5 years 5 months ago #18200 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Ultra Flash Fibreglass repair
Ouch !

The repair looks fairly light I understand there was some Pb in the nose. Just wondered if these aircraft are c of g sensitive and would you plan to rebalance the model statically before flight or "suck it and see"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JonTappin
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #18201 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Ultra Flash Fibreglass repair

Phil Ford wrote: You have put thin glass on the outside so after sanding, etc surely it will be slightly wider or is that a very minor issue at a 1mm?

The cloth on the outside is only there to temporarily reinforce the joints before glassing on the inside, so will mostly be removed when rubbing down afterwards.

Having said that the cloth I used is very thin, much less than 1mm and the outside is uneven anyway after the initial repair as it's impossible to line everything up perfectly. The filler will smooth everything anyway.
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by JonTappin.

• JonTappin
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 5 months ago #18202 by JonTappin

kevinross wrote: Ouch !

The repair looks fairly light I understand there was some Pb in the nose. Just wondered if these aircraft are c of g sensitive and would you plan to rebalance the model statically before flight or "suck it and see"

I will recheck the cg before flight, but don't expect it to be very different, most of the filler will be rubbed off before painting, so it won't add much weight.

I will put the original lead back in. I wanted to try moving the cg forward a little anyway, so the added weight will help with that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevinross

More
5 years 5 months ago #18205 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Ultra Flash Fibreglass repair
Jon - Sorry to read of your incident, the nose acting as a crumple zone no doubt prevented
more serious damage.
I like the cleaver way you have repaired the nose, sadly the bank will claim other models.
Colin.

• JonTappin
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 5 months ago #18209 by JonTappin
Thanks Colin, I'm afraid you're right, I don't think I'll be the last victim unfortunately

• JonTappin
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 5 months ago #18260 by JonTappin
Slow progress over the past couple of weeks due to DIY :( but back on it and things starting to look a lot better.

After lots of filling/rubbing down/filling repeats, it was starting to look better, I used a sanding block and wet and dry to rub down as this will take the high spots off. When you get to the point that it seems quite good, a useful tip is to give it a coat of primer, or in this case primer filler, then rub down again, the filler being a different colour will reveal any existing low spots
Attachments:

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.305 seconds