Phoenix 1600 Hybrid or Mish Mash!

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #18340 by Phil Ford
Phoenix 1600 Hybrid or Mish Mash! was created by Phil Ford
A Hybrid? The original HK Phoenix 1600 had some bits broken or bent so I decided to repair the wing and fin. I glassed the Fin and part glassed the stabiliser. The plastic fin bracket had guide tubes to locate it correctly in the fuselage had snapped off. So, made up some guide/anti-crush tubes from Sullivan guides. The fin had some of the base cut away so I could glue in a hardwood block. Long screws would then pass through the guide tubes and screw into the block which had two spike nuts installed. This would secure the stabiliser. The rudder is an interference fit in the bracket so I just glued it in with UHU POR. Easier to get back out in the event of getting broken again. ;)

The wing was straightened and a glass bandage to hold the two halves together. I then glassed the whole wing.. I have kept the control surfaces as original foam so in the case of an incident I can make up replacements from profiled Balsa.

Next job is to install the four servos. Find the original wing screw holes but the original plastic cover should help there. The fuselage has already been set up and just waiting on a wing and then it's flight time.
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Phil Ford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #18341 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Phoenix 1600 Hybrid or Mish Mash!
Looking good Phil, like the snazzy blue wingtips, does the glassing add any significant weight ?
Since it's main use will be on the slope rather than thermal soaring perhaps the extra weight will not be significant.
Colin.

More
5 years 4 months ago #18343 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Phoenix 1600 Hybrid or Mish Mash!
Looks better than new Phil. Just one thing though, what's the purpose of the "rubber" that's an interference fit in the bracket?

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 4 months ago #18345 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Phoenix 1600 Hybrid or Mish Mash!

Brian wrote: Looks better than new Phil. Just one thing though, what's the purpose of the "rubber" that's an interference fit in the bracket?

1. Should've typed it in daylight Brian. Should read "rudder" obviously. Of course your proof reading has been welcomed but now defunct as I have edited the original post. :lol:

2. Glassing does not add any significant weight because the resin is there to stick the cloth down which is very light and you scrape off the excess glue. (This is what the experienced users tell me) Makes the plane and surfaces much more rigid and resilient. Except for direct collision with terra firma.:lol:

I am still on the learning curve to glassing but I can see lot's of advantages especially with foamies. Okay there is a fair bit of rubbing down and flatting, a bit like car bodywork but with some effort you can get a super smooth finish - which also I am getting to grips with.;) Plus you can paint the model in any artistic way you wish with car paints.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly, Brian

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #18347 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Phoenix 1600 Hybrid or Mish Mash!
Finally, wing completed. Control surfaces are 308 pin hinged with virtually no friction or resistance. Found the original wing securing holes fairly easy using the top cover and a spare wing half to verify the hole positions. Fit servos, four of them. two flap servos which are metal geared and raken from the EFX that is no more. Plugged the wing into the RX using long extension leads making it easier to work on the wing on the bench. Set up Flaps with 60 degree down or thereabouts. Controlled by the throttle stick aka "brakes".

Ailerons had me baffled for a bit as I seem to have more down than up. Repositioned the servo arms (they were still in OEM position as per the original foamie) and now I have around 40% less down compared to up. Have now set up some starting dual rates and see how it goes.

May give it a go tomorrow, Wednesday, in the howling Sou-Westertly if the rain has a few breaks.
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Phil Ford.

More
5 years 4 months ago #18349 by DavidTappin
Replied by DavidTappin on topic Phoenix 1600 Hybrid or Mish Mash!
Phil told Brian that

Of course your proof reading has been welcomed but now defunct as I have edited the original post.

Not quite Phil, your original quote still says

I glassed the Fin and part glassed the stabiliser.

To be correct the fin is also a stabiliser, the vertical one so I think you mean that you have glassed both the vertical and horizontal stabilisers.
Sorry, but I know you've been missing my pedantry so I just couldn't resist it.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.312 seconds