Quanum Observer Rebuild

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #18454 by Phil Ford
Quanum Observer Rebuild was created by Phil Ford
Prelude: Early last Summer 2018 the cockpit nose flew off at the first turn after take-off and with the massive amount of air now rushing in it became unstable and pirouetted into the rape. No real damage and as it landed/crashed close to edge of the field was easily recovered. However, I never saw the cockpit fly off and although an extensive search was carried out, it was not ever found.

With the now quiet time of year and a bit cold outside to fiddle with two glow engines that need sorting, I thought I would have go at copying the cockpit which originally was solid foam. Not that easy as it is all curves. After various attempts with different materials it came back to good ole ply n balsa.

Using 160gsm paper as templates for the cockpit floor and back edge I have managed to get the floor done. I used birch ply scored crossways in a number places which enabled me to clamp it down to shape and brace with 6mm balsa. The slots are then backfilled with PVA glue. Pictures show progress so far with a paper template of the main central former. Once I am happy with the formers I will slot for longerons. The nose will be made form solid balsa block. I have to keep the weight down whatever I do.
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Phil Ford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #18455 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Quanum Observer Rebuild
Phil looking good so far, have you considered planking with 1/8 th balsa over the formers.
Once glued in place, carved, sanded & filled it will make a strong structure & you could then
remove some of spruce ply to keep the weight down.
Colin.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #18456 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Quanum Observer Rebuild
I had not considered thick gauge balsa Colin and sounds like a good option. So, far I have got the main central former in place and slotted for 1/4 balsa. I then was thinking of using skinning balsa wetted and formed round the profile. This I think would entail doing it in multiple strips crossways though. Then sanding to shape.

Note: The original foam "cockpit" if you can call it that gave an option according to the manual to add another camera for FPV or a video transmitter by cutting out to suit.

In it's heyday this model was top rated for FPV and a camera ship. Volantex and HK decided to discontinue it which is a shame in favour of wing type objects and the infamous and now popular quadcopter.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #18457 by Phil Ford
Slow progress as I keep getting diverted by "She who must obeyed" on Christmassy stuff.;) Main and back former now glued in permanently. Although some woodworking cannot be done indoors in my backroom, requires to be outside and with the weather as it is slows down progress. No rush I suppose, considering.....

Nose block next and then rummage to see what balsa I actually have in stock
Attachments:

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #18458 by Phil Ford
After a short break came back to the subject in hand. There has got be an easier way of doing this. Scrambling into the roof space for some inspiration found some spare MX foamy canopies. Decided to cut one down and it nearly fits over the fuselage's profile. If this works then I can make a new floor to glue it to.

Edit: Found out that 80C will make canopy pliable. Using a hot air gun with a air blade adaptor it worked. The canopy virtually fits the fuselage profile. I have left it very slightly oversize so once the floor is in I can trim some more to suit.
Attachments:

More
5 years 3 months ago #18466 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic Quanum Observer Rebuild
Hi Phil, that wedge of blue foam that I presume you still have !! I’m surprised you didn’t shape that, then ask Jon B to vac form off it!
That blue foam shapes and sands quite easily. Just a thought for next time.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.565 seconds