• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 2 months ago #18560 by Phil Ford
Annual Maintenance was created by Phil Ford
A Heads Up for glow users!

As it appears to be the last mild day for a while I thought it maybe wise to get outside and sort out the Wots Wot and Curare glow engines that have been playing up recently.

Blown through the carb and reset jets to factory. Remove tank for clean out and lo and behold! That's lucky I found it . Clunk is as stiff as a board. Which means on first roll the motor would have probably cut out. I think I may just have to check out all glow powered models before any more flights. The fuel line I think came with the tank so may be PVC or some such. I have got a choice of silicon or Tygon in my stock for replacement
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #18566 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Annual Maintenance
Thanks for the reminder Phil. I use a "klunk"line made from two pieces of fuel tube with a piece of brass tube in between. This stops the clunk being thrown towards the front of the tank when plonking a model down without due care and attention. Another cause of erratic engine performance can be corrosion of the brass tubes, not sure what causes it, but I think it was when I used to fill up with 10% nitro.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil Ford

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #18568 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Annual Maintenance
I posted it for the benefit of others with glow motors as a reminder during the quiet season maintenance. Even though the Curare and Wots Wot were continually used and tanks emptied as best I could the all the tubing went hard. As I said probably PVC or something.

I have replaced the Curare fuellines with 3/32 silicon and after fitting a new hot glow plug it ran quite reasonable. Fine tuning needs to done at the field, ie; hold up test at WOT

I have some Tygon due on Wednesday so will replace all lines in all three glow motors and fit new or clean the filters too.
My favoured fuel is Contest 10 with Klotz oil
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Phil Ford.

More
5 years 2 months ago #18571 by Chris73
Replied by Chris73 on topic Annual Maintenance
Phil, if you do a quick google of tygon and glow fuel, a lot of people don't recommend using it. They are saying the nitro makes the tygon go hard very quickly, you maybe better off sticking to silicone tubing for glow, and saving the tygon for your petrol motors
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil Ford

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 2 months ago #18573 by Phil Ford
I had not heard a lot of evidence that Tygon was not really reliable for glow fuel. Makes you wonder what's in glow fuel. It does have it's advantages though, ie; removing paint, unsticking polyester film, etc. ;) I will stick with silicon then. Thanks

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 2 months ago #18581 by Phil Ford
Curare GP is ready to go hopefully) ;) Replumbed fuel lines, new filter. Got it running but needs a fine tune up at the field and hopefully idles steadily after the strip down. Swapped out the Frsky RX for a A6210 with a satellite. I will use Frsky for my electric planes. Had to reprogram some of the servos after the change though. Whilst checking over the surfaces noticed that one of the rudder pull pull wires had frayed to the last thread. :ohmy: What a fiddle to replace it in the tiny space available at the servo end.

Curare EP starboard retract pulled out last Saturday. A few spot of white something was all they had used to glue the plate in and the ply had delaminated a little. All stuck back together now. Next job is placing some skinning balsa where I had to cut out areas for access.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.314 seconds