Chinglish Foss Phase ?

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #18699 by Phil Ford
Chinglish Foss Phase ? was created by Phil Ford
A creation of my own - The Chinglish Foss Phase (was 6) Aptly named because the wing is a Chris Foss Phase 6 modified to fit the HobbyKing Phoenix fuselage. The tailplane and fin are copies of the CF but instead of flat balsa I have made profiled versions. Their fitting is done the same way as the original foam versions which makes it very easy to remove and replace if they get damaged which is quite possible regardless whether a WildThing is around or not. :lol: The control surfaces are Kavan flat hinged with no resistance and smooth operating.

Got to have a rummage for two 9g servos, create ballast box and design a nose cone. No rush as this is really a wet or cold day project.
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Phil Ford.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 3 months ago #18700 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Chinglish Foss Phase ?
Slight error on rudder length :( but sorted out now. Recovered and added some detail colour. Now assembly fitted to fuselage
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 2 months ago #18706 by Phil Ford
Three models on the bench, Phoenix 1600 E Soarer now back together with new wing plus added flaps this time round. Fun Fly Bomber now working again. So whilst waiting for some glue to set got back to do a bit more on the Phase ?.

Servos installed for rudder and elevator. Test fit wing again and take a look at making up an infill where the trailing edge meets the fuselage top.
Attachments:

More
5 years 2 months ago #18718 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Chinglish Foss Phase ?
Looking good, Phil. Still not sure why a new fuselage was needed...surely would have been quicker and easier to glue a few broken bits back together?

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 2 months ago #18720 by Phil Ford

MikeSeale wrote: Looking good, Phil. Still not sure why a new fuselage was needed...surely would have been quicker and easier to glue a few broken bits back together?

In my case Mike it would've been a slow job. ;) The fuselage is now virtually indestructible. Although I have enjoyed making the profiled tail parts which are a lot sturdier than the originals. Looking back I wished I had given the Phase 6 some flaps.

More
5 years 2 months ago #18722 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Chinglish Foss Phase ?
Flaps can help a lot at some slopes. Horses, where the P6 got broken, is easy enough to land w/out flaps. Landing on a slope is one of the hardest manoeuvres and although a Zagi/Wildthing is great for learning for to 'fly', they do not really teach you how to 'land' because they survive poor landings too easily.

It's difficult to describe, but for a good landing in medium to strong wind you should avoid flying a downwind leg. Try flying back and fore across the slope face, always turning out, and each time allow the model to drift a little further back. You'll end up facing with your back to the wind and should still be flying across the slope making turns into the wind. When you are back far enough, turn the model into wind and hover it down to a landing. If you are too high you can pull up elevator so the model flies backward a little and then get the nose level and try again. I'll try to get some video to show what I mean.

If you do fly a downwind leg you have to have enough height so that you can keep the nose down as you turn back into wind. If you keep the nose high the model will get blown backwards and you may lose aileron and elevator authority since the model will have zero airspeed. In this situation all you can do is watch as the model gets blown further downwind and into an unplanned arrival. I have seen a lot of zagi/wildthing landings like this and because they survive the owner does not do anything about it next time - they do not get any better at landing because they are not forced to change their habits.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil Ford, John Bannister, Brian

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.291 seconds