Pepsi Super Chipmunk

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 1 month ago #21752 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Pepsi Super Chipmunk
Covering now done. Lucky I had some spare graphics (stars). Cowl next. After some serious surfing I have located a crankshaft for the motor that is actually in stock. I think I will mount the motor temporarily to get the cowl cut where necessary and get it painted up (I am assuming that Halfords will have restocked cans of Fiat Capri Blue). Crank? Last job to do.

Then the wing next.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 1 month ago #21786 by Phil Ford
Thursday, I visited two Halfords to get the last few cans of Fiat Capri Blue. Friday mounted the engine and cut out the cowl where necessary. It was easier this time as I had some guidance from the original cowl. Marked up the securing holes in the cowl to match the fuselage. Cowl fits the fuselage nicely. Flatted down, then primed, flatted and then two coats of colour.

Monday,I need to get Pepsi on her landing gear so I can fire her up. So, moving on with repairing the wing. Used a bit of a broken rib to get some idea of the profile and cut out some lite ply to replace the front end of one rib and double up on a twisted one to keep it straight. Then glued a front edge on to brace it all. Once the glue has set I can move one to making a leading edge profile and make clean edges for the new sheeting.

As rain was forecast for the afternoon I thought I would get Pennzoil out and run her up. Kicked into life for a moment (about 3 secs) and refused to start at all. Pulled plug and it was soaked. Burned it off and treid again, but no joy then - Yep! It started raining. so mad rush to get it put away till whenever.........:(
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 1 month ago #21793 by Phil Ford
With some longer spells of dry weather was able to get outside and do some sanding and painting. Wing fixed - one spat repaired too (although not the best grp jelling) Now back on wheels. Waiting on prop and then the first fire up.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly, Brian

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #21813 by Phil Ford
Got Pepsi on her wheels today so I can fire up the engine. Would not fire! Bet it is dry. A few drops of gas down the carb intake and away she went. Runs happily again just like she did before the accident.

Dug out Pennzoil too. Fires but won't run. Been stood a while so I reckon there may be a build up of gunk in the carb - Engine/carb off again. :(

Don't know why these aero engines do this. My Baja buggy with a 26cc engine starts second pull after choke on once and sits in the garage for months. :huh:
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Phil Ford.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 1 month ago #21835 by Phil Ford
Stripped the carb down on the Pennzoil Super Chipmunk and cleaned it out. Refitted and the engine started but would not run above fast idle and then die. That's something at least! Took the top regulator cover off and found fuel on the atmosphere side. Damn! Today, Saturday some Walbro carb kits turned up so engine off, carb off again and fitted new diaphragm and flapper valve. Refitted engine and away it went. The diaphragm must have been perished but I could not find any holes in it by holding it up to the light. Oh well, all sorted now.

Now when is the nice weather returning?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 1 month ago #21837 by
Replied by on topic Pepsi Super Chipmunk
Hopefully Wednesday!

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.491 seconds