Oracover Lifespan

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #23438 by Phil Ford
Oracover Lifespan was created by Phil Ford
Not sure whether it was snicked whilst in transport but after landing found the covering had torn back somewhat. Today I chose to make a repair. What was just a small patch, the width rib spacing it ended up across three ribs, seen on the right of centre in image. :( Then redo the red stripes again. Whilst the wing is on the bench I have noticed the clear film is lifting in places. The plane was covered in Oracover so I am wondering about the lifespan of this stuff, film separation and the adhesive? UV damage? The plane is now 10 years old

If it gets to the point of a total recover then I may mod the airframe and covering to a near copy of Todd Peterson's Super Chipmunk. Yes it is me sat in it.. ;)
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Phil Ford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #23439 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Oracover Lifespan
It might help to protect the current covering if you sealed the edges with 3M edge sealant.

www.selfadhesive.co.uk/3m-scotchcal-trad...A8ULnaxoCHOYQAvD_BwE

If the price frightens you, a trip to Barton on Sea with small container could provide you with sufficient to seal all the seams. (i recently bought some on line.

More
3 years 6 months ago #23440 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Oracover Lifespan
They did have an issue at one time with delamination of the top clear layer, particularly with black as I remember.

Sealing the edges as Kevin has said is worth doing, I use a 'seal it' pen, I find you can easily free hand it as the fibre tip will follow the edge quite well. My pen has done several models and is still going strong!

www.starvinyl.co.uk/vehicle-wrapping-tools/sealpen.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: ian sapsed

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 6 months ago #23441 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Oracover Lifespan
Thanks Guys. I have that "Pen" that you recommended Jon. Expensive but goes along way. Seals edges/decals just fine. Generally it appears that the white is separating in places. Red stripes and Red wing covering is good though.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 6 months ago #23442 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Oracover Lifespan

Kevin Ross wrote: It might help to protect the current covering if you sealed the edges with 3M edge sealant.

www.selfadhesive.co.uk/3m-scotchcal-trad...A8ULnaxoCHOYQAvD_BwE

If the price frightens you, a trip to Barton on Sea with small container could provide you with sufficient to seal all the seams. (i recently bought some on line.

I may just do that Kevin, thanks. ;)

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.292 seconds