Pitts Biplane

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 years 5 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #25350 by Phil Ford
Pitts Biplane was created by Phil Ford
A short while ago on my second flight I misjudged the end of the runway and it touched down into the moss and long grass, tipping it over, breaking the prop and pulling out one of the landing gear legs. The legs are aluminum and in two parts. Earlier in the year I bought a suitable carbon gear ( ex Pilot RC Laser 88) and was going to fit it along with some ally angle (as per modern designs internally) but it would not be that simple as the Pitts landing legs pass through the side of the fuselage, so I left it.

With the debacle of the above I am now forced to sort it out. I have made up the broken part of the original floor (3 layers of 3mm ply) and to reinforce the floor glued down another ply floor on the inside. Cut some aluminum angle and adapted the fuselage interior sides to allow the bolting of the angle side ways and the landing gear bolts up through the built up floor. Rather than split the carbon gear I am going to leave it as one piece and adapt and repair the damaged fuselage sides.

Well that kept me occupied for a couple of days so far.:)
Attachments:
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Phil Ford.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly, Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #25361 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Pitts Biplane
Earlier last week whilst dry and too cold now back on to the underside. I had salvaged some of the broken lower formers and stuck them back together along with some ply to stiffen them up. Used up the very last of my 1/4 x 1/4 balsa for the runners that support the sheeting. Then sheeted the necessary areas although the area that needed the U shape took a bit of fiddling. It had to be about right otherwise the plastic insert would not fit back in properly.

Sunday afternoon was mild so decided to get back out and glue the blocks in that support the plastic insert. Whilst waiting on the epoxy to set I cut out the damaged piece of sheeting in the lower port wing, replaced it and re-covered with yellow Oracover. Back to the fuselage, Yes the plastic insert fits so now can cover the rebuilt lower front with black Oracover. Notice that their black in blacker than Monokote's. ;) Or is the age, the model was made in 2009? With the covering done at last, refit the insert, refit the cowl. Now all I need is a prop and its ready to go. Again!

Later when I am in the mood I will repair the spats.
Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Phil Ford.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly, Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds