Curare EP A Demise!

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #25263 by Phil Ford
Curare EP A Demise! was created by Phil Ford
Previously flown last Saturday with no issues. Saturday the 9th October. Took off and climbed out. As I climbed higher steering felt odd. Then I got RSSI critical warning. As I tried to turn right I had to fight it. Then I got back control so I now flew left to come back over or near the runway line just in case. It had settled down momentarily and then started flying odd. I called to Mitch, "landing, there is something wrong". As I came round at the West end gear down, half way through the turn it stopped responding again and it did a knife edge over the big trees and into the trackside trees and into field on the other side of the track. At 40 mph there ain't gonna be much left.

With the help of Matt we had to dig out the motor, it was in deep. Totally destroyed. Lipo Pack like an accordion. In some ways as luck would have it the servos and landing gear were undamaged and I have tested them today. I checked the log data on my PC and it appears that there was low RSSI even though I was not that far out. This may explain why It did not respond to me, the RX had gone to fail-safe. Hence maybe the perfect knife edge (I don't do knife edges normally) over and into the next field. I may have another explanation - The fuselage is narrow and when the wing servo leads are squished down in along with all the metal control rods and other wiring possibly the RF got blanked. Although it did not show up at range check. :huh:

I loved that Curare MK1 because it was as fast as Jon's tuned pipe version. :( It had a good life though as it was 7 years old. My Curare MKII with an OS 55 is slow in comparison.

Someone who shall remain nameless says Weston do the Curare special engine kit at £229. You will get me in trouble. :lol:
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Phil Ford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago #25264 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic Curare EP A Demise!
Sorry to read this Phil. 7 years though, couldn’t believe that when I read it.

More
2 years 6 months ago #25265 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Curare EP A Demise!
Phil - Just read Curare demise, so sorry you have lost a classic model.
Cannot believe you had the model for 7 years , how time flys.
Regards
Colin

More
2 years 6 months ago #25266 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Curare EP A Demise!
Have you found out the cause of the crash Phil? If you have a plentiful supply of chocolate digestives and a big tea mug, Outerzone do the Curare in three sizes, nice Winter project.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #25267 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Curare EP A Demise!

Have you found out the cause of the crash Phil? If you have a plentiful supply of chocolate digestives and a big tea mug, Outerzone do the Curare in three sizes, nice Winter project.

I have still got the slow n glow version Brian. ;) The log file showed a big drop in RSSI as I turned whilst climbing out. However, it was not that bad 30 secs later when it went knife edge into trees. However, I am going to check the receiver on my PC shortly.

I got no sympathy at home. Especially when I said I have a lot of spare parts, servos, retracts that need a new home. "You have already got to many planes, you have planes in the roof, in the bedroom and hangar". I am speechless.:ohmy:
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Phil Ford.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 years 6 months ago #25268 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Curare EP A Demise!
Checked the S8R receiver. On board stabilise I disabled as I don't use it but definitely disabled. So, still points to RSSI problem.
Attachments:

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.297 seconds