Glow Idles Then Stops

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #20161 by Phil Ford
Glow Idles Then Stops was created by Phil Ford
This seems to come around about every six months to my four strokes (Wots Wot) and two stroke. Both start easily, throttle up perfectly. Taxi out to strip, look left and right, call taking off and find the engine has stopped. :( Back to Pits, fiddle with main jet, change glow plug numerous times back n forth from strip. Can't fathom this out! So, today in advance of some fuel lines and bungs turning up tomorrow, I have stripped the fuel system on the Curare initially. Really hoping I have covered all possibilities. :unsure: Or something else?
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Phil Ford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #20163 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Glow Idles Then Stops
If it's failing during the taxying process it's more likely going to be the low end needle, not the main jet! I flew glow for 10 years before electric and would very rarely need to change any settings on a motor. The low end needle was always worth playing with to get a reliable tickover and fast pickup. There was always a little compromise between getting the smoothest/slowest tickover and the fastest/cleanest pickup. The only other thing to consider is that when I only flew glow, I would go through a lot of fuel and it was always fresh. Now that you are mixing and glow and electric, are you using enough fuel to ensure that it is 'good'?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil Ford

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #20164 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Glow Idles Then Stops
Mike is correct (of course :)) cutting on idle would be low end needle not high end.

If it just fades and stops, it is likely to be lean, if it gets lumpy and dies it's probably rich.

Accelerating from idle, if it takes a while to clear, it's rich, if it tries to stop immediately it's lean.

But as Mike says, unless your fuel or plug has gone off or you have got a blockage, then it shouldn't change
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by JonTappin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil Ford

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #20166 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Glow Idles Then Stops
It was suggested at the field on Monday that after a long period the tank bung perishes although hardly noticeable to the naked eye but releases tiny particles which would be enough to play up the idle at least. Fuel is Model Technics Contest 10 and less than 6 months old.
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Phil Ford.

More
4 years 10 months ago #20169 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Glow Idles Then Stops
If the bung perishes it usually leaks.

Do you not use a quality filter in the fuel line from tank to carb?

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 10 months ago #20172 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Glow Idles Then Stops

JonTappin wrote: If the bung perishes it usually leaks.

Do you not use a quality filter in the fuel line from tank to carb?

Yes it has a carb filter - depends on what you call quality. ;) Filter in refill bottle, filter in line too That makes three. A small red one that can be unscrewed for cleaning. That appeared spotless when I took it apart today.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.264 seconds