Z-Foam Seal and Preventive Maintenance

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 10 months ago #2434 by
Hello Everybody

I just increased the area reserved for the receiver, by cutting a little part of Z-Foam, so that I can fully fit my AR8000 receiver, using the usual velcro. I was thinking to seal the Z-Foam before apply the velcro. Is the use of of pvc glue suitable to seal Z-Foam ? Could I use pvc glue to reinforce fragile area, like the rudder edges, which can be dented easily ?
Is fiberglass tape recommended, ( together with carbon fiber ) for reinforce ( preventive maintenance ) the weak areas of the glider's structure ?

Many, many thanks for your help !

Regards
Michele

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #2435 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Z-Foam Seal and Preventive Maintenance
Do you need to seal the foam so that the Velcro sticks? If yes, then go ahead and seal it, but I'm not sure how good PVA / PVC glue will be at sticking to the z-foam.

Regarding reinforcement...I don't know the Radian well enough, but from the little I have read I'd say leave it alone - it is well designed and you just have to accept it will get a few dents along the way.. Strengthening a model before it has crashed usually just:
1. adds weight
2. makes it break somewhere else when it crashes.

Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 10 months ago #2438 by
Thanks Mike.

I will leave it as it is then.

Michele

More
9 years 9 months ago #2472 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Z-Foam Seal and Preventive Maintenance
Michele - Last week my friend was flying his Radian & was caught in a thermal that took it to a great height.
He panicked, put the motor on & put her into a steep dive - the model survived this high speed dive with no structural damage.
Confirms Mike's comment - does not need strengthening.
Regards
Colin.A
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 9 months ago #2476 by
Many Thanks Colin !
I am impressed with the strenght of the Radian. I hope the Radian will be strong enought to sustain my lack of flying skills !

Michele

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.249 seconds