How do you go about designing an aircraft?

More
7 years 3 months ago #11491 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic How do you go about designing an aircraft?
There's an old saying:- "if it looks right, it'll fly right". Draw an aeroplane with a shape that you're happy with. Make a simple sheet model to a reasonable scale of your design "1/16" (1.5mm) balsa sheet. Balance the model so that the CG is approx 25% to 30% of the wing chord. (don't know if you can still get Plasticene). Take it out into the garden and launch it. Take the usual trimming steps used by free flight modellers until a smooth launch gives a stable descent with no stalls and no nose ins. That'll give you the approximate position of the CG. When it comes to airfoils, what do you want the model to fly like? Thin airfoils fly fast, the opposite for "fat" ones. A good source of airfoils is "Profili", this program also provides all the design tools you need for the structure of a model aeroplane.. Keep it simple and you'll find it most rewarding. Good luck!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 3 months ago #11492 by
Thanks for the advice.

I may have jumped the gun John, and ordered the book last night, I was looking for some light bedtime reading material anyway, and I figure there is probably nothing better than mulling over Reynolds numbers to ensure a good night sleep. I have to confess to having heard or Reynolds numbers but am just as ignorant about them as I am about knowing if an engine is running rich or lean.

Thanks for the website link Mike.

Hi Brian, I'm not about to jump in and design anything yet, it would be a nice idea in the future and I guess there is a scale plane that I doubt there is a plan or kit for, and might be an interesting project at a much later date. At the moment I'd just like to be a bit more educated about aerodynamics and understand some of the choices the designers made.

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #11493 by JRI

Chris001 wrote: Thanks for the advice.
... I'm not about to jump in and design anything yet, it would be a nice idea in the future and I guess there is a scale plane that I doubt there is a plan or kit for, and might be an interesting project at a much later date. At the moment I'd just like to be a bit more educated about aerodynamics and understand some of the choices the designers made.

Make this one Grommit ...
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by JRI.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 3 months ago #11494 by
That is just madness!

Actually John, the one I have tucked away in the back of my mind is a Jet, hence in the very distance to none existent future :pinch: And it would have to be ELECTRIC none of that fuel mellarky ;)

• kevinross
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 3 months ago #11495 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic How do you go about designing an aircraft?
Another contribution to your list of publications - written by Martyn Pressnell, a member of my local Christchurch model club who sadly was lost to the dreaded C last week. He only published the book last year.

www.amazon.co.uk/Model-Planes-Aerofoils-...ssnell/dp/0719815401

I understand there is a copy in the the C&Dmfc library which i could borrow for a few weeks should it be of interest.

More
7 years 3 months ago #11496 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic How do you go about designing an aircraft?
A lot of models and full-sized planes are the shape that they are because of trial and error. There is also a lot of copying a proven design so they all look similar if they are designed to do the same job. And finally, there is a lot of trends that serve no purpose but everyone wants to have the latest watchamacallit because that's what Walter is flying.

Google 'luft 46' to see what is possible when you start with an open mind instead of copying others

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.292 seconds