Superwing MkXII

More
6 years 4 months ago #14813 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Superwing MkXII
I've got two pieces of correx..one was borrowed from school and the other borrowed from foxes and sons. If I had to buy some I'd look at eBay or a craft shop like Hobbycraft.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #14818 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Superwing MkXII

MikeSeale wrote: I've got two pieces of correx..one was borrowed from school and the other borrowed from foxes and sons. If I had to buy some I'd look at eBay or a craft shop like Hobbycraft.

Was that an echo? Looked at Hobbycraft. Not known on their websites at least.

I need about 300mm by 300mm at least.
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Phil Ford.

More
6 years 4 months ago #14819 by Dave Rogers
Replied by Dave Rogers on topic Superwing MkXII
Think I got some white sheets that dave b gave me years ago, if I find them I’ll bring a sheet with me tomorow
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil Ford

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #14866 by Phil Ford
Progressing on a bit more. The hatch locking mechanism did cause me some head scratching and I think in future designs I will design cut formers with that in mind. Easier to make them right first time rather than retro fitting tabs afterwards. With the hatch now nicely locking in place time to make up the fins.

I had planned on built up balsa fins but as this is an experimental jobby I used some 3mm Correx (thanks Dave) but doubled up the cut out fins. These were then fibre glass taped up and cover in coloured tape. Earlier I had made a cardboard fin template in the first instance so I could get the wing contour near enough. Then used the template as a guide to cutting the Correx. The fins slide on to kebab sticks glued perpendicular into the wing top surface. The fins are then slid on to the pointed ends of the sticks, the sticks passing up the Correx flutes. A bit tight which is why had asked forthicker Correx but beggars can't be chosers. ;) With all being well, I then added a few blobs of UhU to hold the fins to the wing surface.
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Phil Ford.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 4 months ago #14867 by Phil Ford
With the Wing now looking like an aeroplane of sorts, time to see what the weight is now. AUW is 912 gms. Motor is 2500kv on 3 cells turning a 6x4 prop. Using the wife's kitchen scales (much to her disdain) the aforementioned scales were used to measure the amount of thrust. the plane was set on to large rollers to minimise any rolling resistance and the test was made. Rough n ready though it was I measured around 850 gms of thrust, so nearly 1:1 power to weight ratio..

I then I asked myself " Will it fly". Hope so....
Attachments:

More
6 years 4 months ago #14869 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Superwing MkXII
Phil -Look forward to seeing her,will you be bringing it along tomorrow (Tues) ?
I will have my powered "Zagi" so perhaps a bit of tail chasing.
Colin.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.413 seconds