BAe Hawk slope soarer by PJ Models

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 3 months ago #15178 by
I've made a start on this Hawk sloper, I do not know when the kit was made, but I'm guessing early 80's.

The fuselage, wings, elevator halves and fin are all veneered foam, and just required a bit of re-gluing around the edges and they should be fine now, I will need to make a new fin however, as the one supplied is badly warped. And at some point find or make a canopy which, I think, was the only thing missing.

It is designed to be a two channel glider, the ailerons to be driven by a single servo and torque rods. But is that the best way in this day and age? I figure I have three options:

• go with it as designed
  • put two aileron servos in the fuselage to power the torque rods
  • put two servos in the wing. - I'm guessing they would have to go in the top of the wing otherwise I'd be replacing them after every landing.

• Any thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
    6 years 3 months ago #15179 by 4Pedalsfly
    Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic BAe Hawk slope soarer by PJ Models
    Chris - Unusual project for you, I think of you building built up structures, I would go for 1 servo in each wing
    If there is enough thickness in the wing you may getaway with having the servos under the wing, otherwise put them
    in the top per Zagi style.
    Look forward to seeing some pics.
    Colin

• Topic Author
    • Visitor
    • Visitor
    6 years 3 months ago #15181 by
    Thanks Colin,

Two servos would seem to make sense these days.

It's fair to say I feel more confident with planks of balsa but I was also intrigued by the kit that Phil Coupe was trying to find a good home for, I hope I am that good home!
    Attachments:

More
    6 years 3 months ago #15182 by MikeSeale
    Replied by MikeSeale on topic BAe Hawk slope soarer by PJ Models
    With mini servos you'll only have the linkage sticking out and will not need to replace each time assuming metal gears. My Algebra is basically a low wing model and has 4 servo arms poking out and I have not stripped a gear yet.

More
    6 years 3 months ago #15183 by MikeSeale
    Replied by MikeSeale on topic BAe Hawk slope soarer by PJ Models
    The kit looks in better shape that I was expecting.. or do the photos hide a lot of imperfections?

• Topic Author
    • Visitor
    • Visitor
    6 years 3 months ago #15184 by
    Thanks Mike,

It's not in that bad a condition, and looks a lot better now the veneer isn't hanging off, I think the fin and canopy are the only things not to survive storage.

Moderators: DaveBright
    Time to create page: 0.281 seconds