Phase 6 Glider KIt

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #15575 by Phil Ford
Phase 6 Glider KIt was created by Phil Ford
After seeing Big Dave's Phase 6 on the slope last weekend and saw what a nice plane it really is I got home and surfed around on the Net. Difficult to find any instock but found a Sport version at T9HobbySport strangely. It turned up today.

This is a big jump for me, to build from a pile of balsa and foam. At least the wings are pre-veneered.;)

So, what am I about to undertake? Assembly might not be too bad but a new thing to me is glassing.

I won't start the kit for a week or two as other items are in still progress but will be asking a lot of questions, especially from those who know of the model well.
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Phil Ford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #15576 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Phase 6 Glider KIt
When building mine (about 20yrs ago) i made a small mod to the wing mounting which fellow Ivinghoe Beacon flyers had incorporated which helps minimise damage if the wing catches on landing. The separate wing cover enables you to add lead on the C go G and the wing nut securing plate allows you to remove the T prong nut and replace with a spare on the slope (then extract the sheared nylon bolt at home)
Attachments:

• DavidTappin
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #15578 by DavidTappin
Replied by DavidTappin on topic Phase 6 Glider KIt
Kevin mentions

The separate wing cover enables you to add lead on the C go G

It looks as if Kevin's Phase 6 has the flat-bottomed wing. Mine has the semi-symmetrical wing section and I have never felt the need for ballast (maybe Yorkshiremen venture out in stronger winds than us soft Southerners) and my the wing cover is permanently attached to the wing. If Phil's has the flat bottomed wing then the void in the cover may come in useful as a ballast box, otherwise I wouldn't bother.
The break out wing securing plate is a good idea and has saved me a few broken wings. I only have two screws to secure mine and slotted out the holes to make it even easier for the wing to "escape."
Attachments:

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 2 months ago #15580 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Phase 6 Glider KIt
Thanks for tips on the wing security screw. There are two versions, a sport version has semi symmetrical E 205 wing profile for all round flying. The Pro version is fully symmetrical and performance is supposedly excellent but needs a very good blow to warrant the Pro label.

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #15582 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Phase 6 Glider KIt

DavidTappin wrote: Kevin mentions

The separate wing cover enables you to add lead on the C go G

It looks as if Kevin's Phase 6 has the flat-bottomed wing. Mine has the semi-symmetrical wing section and I have never felt the need for ballast (maybe Yorkshiremen venture out in stronger winds than us soft Southerners) and my the wing cover is permanently attached to the wing. If Phil's has the flat bottomed wing then the void in the cover may come in useful as a ballast box, otherwise I wouldn't bother.
The break out wing securing plate is a good idea and has saved me a few broken wings. I only have two screws to secure mine and slotted out the holes to make it even easier for the wing to "escape."

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #15585 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Phase 6 Glider KIt

Dave Rogers wrote:
In fact Dave it is your fault that I now have had to purchase another plane after watching your bargain basement Phase 6 on Sunday perform. Ilooked for used ones but none about so have to make one instead. ;) This could mean having to sell another model to compensate. :silly:

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.514 seconds