Ripmax Professional Balsa plane

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 1 month ago #16108 by
Hello, I'm curious about this Ripmax Professional Balsa plane, and was wondering if anyone here has had first hand experience with it?

www.ripmax.com/Item.aspx?ItemID=T-RMXBP01&Category=140-050-050

I would like something that has a little more finesse when setting the cut depth than my current balsa plane, which is either too much or none at all, or, heavy shaving on one side an none on the other!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #16112 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Ripmax Professional Balsa plane
I assume you have the David mini plane which needs patience to adjust precisely. The Ripmax version cant be any worse - i'll wait for your review.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #16116 by
Replied by on topic Ripmax Professional Balsa plane
I do have a David plane Kevin, and as lovely as it is it could be better ;)

I've just ordered the Ripmax plane having seen this pic of the rear:

It looks like the two allen key adjustments will enable controlled inching of the blade in and out as well as centring... Well that's my hope.

As to blades, the only pics I've seen are blades in wrappers, but they are labeled 'Feather' which is a Japanese company that makes lots of blades, but looking at the wrapper it is my hope they are old fashion double edged razor blades, ie dirt cheap if bought on the internet, but also available at supermarkets... and I already have quite a stock of them. But this is all guess work, I'll report back once it's in my hands.
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by .

More
6 years 1 month ago #16121 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Ripmax Professional Balsa plane
The pics on Ripmax website show that the plane might have a blade "iron" - In which case you may get away with std razor blades - unlike the David mini plane which has no support and therefore needs the thicker OEM blades.

PS - just seen a special offer on at a certain tool shop and its OAP 10% discount today - watch this space !

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 1 month ago #16122 by
Replied by on topic Ripmax Professional Balsa plane

kevinross wrote: PS - just seen a special offer on at a certain tool shop and its OAP 10% discount today - watch this space !

What could you possibly need that you don't already have Kevin?

And would this be Axminster?

More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #16124 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Ripmax Professional Balsa plane
I've used a miniature Stanley plane for years. Fiddly to sharpen, but very easy to set up. Made by Stanley USA. Bought from Flitehook,(Southampton) they might still sell them. Just found that you can get it on Amazon. www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-12-101-mini-Block-Flat/dp/B00002X1ZC
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Brian.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.267 seconds