Ripmax Professional Balsa plane

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #16172 by
Replied by on topic Ripmax Professional Balsa plane
First impressions are good :) here it is next to the David plane.

There are two adjusters at the back that allow you to very finely inch the blade forward and ensure the cut is the same on both sides of the blade, this was exactly what I was after. The blade is very sharp, I have two cuts to show for it already :pinch:

The blade is a mystery, it's not a double edged blade like I had suspected, nor is it a single edged razor blade with the folded metal bit removed, nor is it a David plane blade... I think it might be a Feather 99001 blade, but no luck finding them in the UK, so it looks like I'll be buying Ripmax blades, but as it's only going to be used on balsa I doubt I'll be blunting the blade so fast as to make me resent paying £5.50 for five blades, I just need to remember to add them to my next order.

Over all I'm happy, it's not perfect, but heck it's only for balsa, and I'm grateful to say it is not one of those "tool shaped objects", I'll be using it a fair bit in the coming weeks so will report back if there's anything more to add.
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #16173 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Ripmax Professional Balsa plane
Just what i need to improve the finish from my chainsaw !

More
6 years 1 month ago #16182 by DavidTappin
Replied by DavidTappin on topic Ripmax Professional Balsa plane
Chris mentioned that

as it's only going to be used on balsa I doubt I'll be blunting the blade

I'm well aware that I'll be accused of pedantry for the following observation, but the fact is that a skilled joiner (and I know that Chris s one - he's often proved it with photo's of his workmanship) would never put a plane down as illustrated. If its set ready to cut the blade will be protruding from the plane's soleplate and the plane will be resting on the blade, not the soleplate, so the sharp edge won't stay sharp for long, even when it's only used on balsa wood!

More
6 years 1 month ago #16186 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Ripmax Professional Balsa plane
Quite right David.;) Should've been resting other than blade down. Either that or the cost of a pack of 5 blades is negligible for Chris. On the other hand it could've been an oversight by skillful Chris or a deliberate attempt to see if anyone noticed. :lol:

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.262 seconds