Can you see what it is yet?

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 5 months ago #18276 by Brian
Can you see what it is yet? was created by Brian
Last week I started to clear up my shed, I found that beneath the debris left from lots of repairs to models, I had a bench, not only that, there was a floor as well. While tidying up the accumulated balsa sheet and strip, I came across what seemed to be an empty cardboard box, the label said "Balsa Cabin". Inside was some assorted balsa and spruce strip, a few sheets of balsa, a packet of ribs that I'd forgotten I'd made some years ago, and finally, the plan and a sheet of building notes. As usual, I dropped the task in hand and read the build notes. After looking at the plan, eating too many chocolate digestives and drinking a couple of mugs of tea, I had a look to see if I had a suitable engine. I didn't have one, so that was probably why the model didn't get built. But I do have a couple of brushless motors complete with ESCs. The model will weigh around 4lbs if I build it light, the motor I'll use is a Tornado C.3536 and claims to be 400W. According to the pundits, that should pull a four pound model quite nicely. The recent rainy weather meant that I could get on with a spot of building. More enjoyable than trying to keep the garden tidy. There isn't a prize for naming the model, but I'd like to know how many of you recognise it. The rudder area has been increased by about 10% to improve spin entry, apart from that it is "As Drawn".
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 4 months ago #18564 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Can you see what it is yet?
Needing to get away from all the Festive Jollies, (not true, I've had a cold over Christmas), today I thought it might cheer me up if I did a bit more to my latest project. The last thing I did before the AGM was to glue on the nose ring, I intended to build round the motor using a mix of 1/4" balsa and 3/8" triangle section.On checking the clearances round the motor, I found the motor was impossible to turn over, the prop driver was jammed by the nose ring. Rotating the motor a half turn freed it, so it looked as though the shaft was bent Unfortunately, even with the prop driver unbolted, it wasn't possible to get the motor out, so I sawed off the nose ring. The motor was an eBay bargain, should have checked it over when it arrived three years ago! To anyone who has seen an AcroWot, WotsWot, UnoWot,Wot4,XtraWot Etc.The shape will be familiar, the photo is the fin/rudder of a WotKnot. I don't know when Chris Foss designed it. When I bought the plan, he warned me that using a .40 two stroke might prove to be rather more exciting than I would expect. The model seems to be very light and the wing section is quite thin, so it'll probably be quite nimble. With luck and a straightened shaft in the motor, I might get it to the field in 2019, assuming I don't make any more mistakes.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil Ford

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.242 seconds