Flair SE5a Kit

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 4 months ago #18540 by
Flair SE5a Kit was created by
I'm just starting the build of a Flair SE5a. I don't expect it to be a speedy endeavour (just as well 'cos I need practice on the Cub before trying to fly the SE5a). And there are lots of wings!
If anyone has gone down this path before and has any advice or suggestions, pitfalls to avoid,etc. I'd be grateful to hear them.
Thanks,
Phil.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #18543 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Flair SE5a Kit

PhilG wrote: If anyone has gone down this path before and has any advice or suggestions, pitfalls to avoid,etc

Good luck with the build. I've only built one biplane and found it demoralising to think that once one wing is complete you still have another to do. Worth it for the final result though.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
5 years 4 months ago #18553 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Flair SE5a Kit
Phil - Look forward to following the build thread, if you "Google" the kit there will be lots of info out there.
Take your time & enjoy the build.
Colin.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #18558 by
Replied by on topic Flair SE5a Kit
Phil, I built one a few years ago and still have it, though it would be impossible to get the wing off to see to the innards, stuck with nitro gloop.

There is an article on this site that I wrote at the time, and a video of the maiden flight. wimbornemac.org/articles/projects/54-flair-se5a

The kit goes together as per instructions, which are thorough. The only fault I remember is that the dihedral braces were very flimsy and twice the correct angle. I used a full depth piece of 1/32" ply instead. I have a jig for holding the undercart while soldering if it's of interest. You can ring me on 01202 577433

Hope yours is a quicker build than mine. Overall it took nine years! (including three house moves). I added rigging wires to the design, and altered the foredeck to make it more realistic. I used self colour Solartex, but you might not find any now.

Good luck with the build. Out of interest, there are 63 pieces of wood in the top wing centre section!

Phil C (there's a coincidence!)
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Phil Ford.

More
5 years 4 months ago #18570 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Flair SE5a Kit
Hope you enjoy the build Phil, there are some interesting rigging items on the DB Sport and Scale website, I think you'll find them useful, especially when it comes to rigging the model at the field.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.475 seconds